Registered: October 2002 Location: Houston, Texas Posts: 10 users gallery
Hello everyone, this is my 3rd challenge submission and I really enjoyed doing this one. This is what I remember about the way I arrived at my final image.
1.on a new layer I masked the man in quick mask and saved the selection. Then inverted the selection to select the background.
2. Used HSB with the colorize box checked to add color to the background. Once the color was close to what I wanted I adjusted its intensity using levels. Used the clone tool to fill in the missing left border. Flattened and saved.
3. On a new layer in color mode I loaded the saved selection of the man. Used quick mask to alter the selection to include only the jacket. Under the channels tab I adjusted the levels of RGB channels individually. Then used replace color for coloring. Flattened and saved.
4. For the hat see step 3.
5. On a new layer in color mode I selected his hair and eyebrows and painted with a brown color. Flattened and saved.
6. To smooth out the skin before coloring I used the history brush technique found at Expressographics.com. Then, doing my poor mans imitation of Rembrandt colored in the skin area. Flattened and saved.
7. Then with extreme magnification and very tiny brush I began dodging and burning his eyes until mine crossed. I wanted to be a little different so I painted in his eyes a light brown. Flattened and saved.