Registered: August 2001
|Photo Source: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division LC-USZ62-109848
This is a gold toned daguerreotype, produced by Mathew Brady's studio between 1844 and 1860, of Judge William Cranch, Chief Justice of the Circuit Court of the District of Columbia.
Now, here's where we find out how many people actually read these Challenge descriptions.
The idea is to restore the tonality and repair the scratches and dustmarks, but only with layers. They can be adjustment layers, or duplicate layers, or fill layers, or any kind of layers you want. But anything you do must affect 100% of that layer. That means no brushes, no selections, no masks, no anything that isn't applied to an entire layer. Filters are fine, as long as they're applied to an entire layer.
Your description should include what your final layer stack consisted of, and your settings for each, and why you made that layer.
Challenge: Restore this photo using only layers
Do your best to restore "Layers Only", and post the results here using the following guidelines:
- Make sure you're using the largest version of the Challenge photo
- Enter your name in "Enter a title for the photo"
- Enter the Challenge type and number in "Descriptive Keywords" (ie: "Photo-Art Challenge #501" or "Manipulation Challenge #132"
- Include a complete description of the steps you used under "Photo Description". (You might want to write it elsewhere and paste it here)
- Attach your file as an 800 pixel wide JPG file, compressed so that the overall file is under 200k (this usually means 60% compression).
- Make sure you post to the correct Challenge
- If you expect any comments for your entry, offer your comments to other entries
As always, there are no winners, no losers, no prizes, only a sharing and learning opportunity for everyone.
How you restore and how much you restore is up to you, as long as you fulfill the Challenge. Have fun, and good luck!
NOTE: As is the case for ALL RetouchPRO Challenges, there is NO expiration date on this Challenge. Even after other Challenges go up, feel free to upload your version