Registered: September 2001
Location: Flemington, NJ
Began with level adjusments of: Red 0/1.00/222, Green 1/1.00/233, Blue 10/1.00/242.
Freehand selected girl dog and foreground. Promoted that to new layer (layer via copy). Erased remaining background around the edges of the dog and girl.
Used cloned tool to remove scan lines and spots on girl's face.
Created new background by roughly freehand selecting the striped couch and copying that multiple times, freetransforming and placing the copies to cover the new background layer. Applied a twirl filter and gaussian blur. Reduced the opacity of the layer and added a solid layer beneath it to soften the effect. Played with Hue/Saturation on both layers to create color I thought would blend with the photo.
Filled in white areas of dog and blanket by copying good areas, freetransforming and pasting those selection over the blown-out areas.
Dodged and burned to create more contrast in fur of dog.
Did the same with the hair of the girl where the dark blotches were.
Resized image to 800 pixels in width. Merged layers, except for background layer, visible. Saved as a new PSD file.
Working on the second file, I tried to even the skin tones of the girl, but wasn't successful using levels or curves. Finally I used the sponge tool to desaturate the girl's face, ear and hand. Recolored using paintbrush on color blend mode layer.
Duplicated the girl and dog layer and applied the despeckle filter 3 times. Masked all but the girl's face and arms. Also, lightly smudged blotchy areas on girl's hand and arm. Touched up eyes using the dodge tool on the irises.
Used selective color adjustment to reduce the black in the red tones, and used variations to lighten the shadows and midtones.
Added a final Brightness (+17) / Contrast (+8) adjustment layer set to 80% opacity.
Flattened image, saved as a jpeg, compression of 60.