Registered: February 2003
I started by thinking about how I would go about gilding a lily. This is one way - with gold layed over the flower.
I selected the lily, then used Super Blade Pro, with a bright gold setting. This produced a solid lumpy piece that didn't look at all like a lily. So I went back and started over.
This time, after selecting the lily, I edited the selection, setting part of the selection at a lower opacity, so as to show the outlines of the petals, etc. I tried Blade Pro again, but the colors of the lily showed thru quite heavily, and didn't look all that gold. Back to the drawing board.
This time, I painted the lily white, then used the selection from the last time, with bits of the selection having less opacity, so that I could get some shape to the petals.
Again, I tried applying Super Blade Pro. This looked better, but since parts of the selection had lower opacity, the white showed thru some. So I put this layer over the original image, and lowered the opacity a bit, so that just a little of the color showed thru. Then I also put a new raster layer with overlay blend mode, and added a little bit of darkness in the very center of the lily to give it a bit of depth. I also added a few light sparkles to show the reflection off the gold. This worked a little better.