Registered: February 2003
I have spent about a month on this, working on and off. I'll try the best I know to outline the steps. I started by splitting the image into channels, and trying to find the cleanest. Then I worked with several tools, brightness/contrast, histogram, etc, to try and bring a little more detail to the image.
From there, I erased the background, and put a new soft gradient behind it with a small amount of noise.
I did most of the work by smudging and softening. I cleaned the dark areas using the dodge brush, and used the burn brush to bring back a little detail. I thought about cloning the lace, but decided to do the best I could with dodge and burn instead. I did smudge a little, trying to keep the design of the lace, but to soften the harshness near the dark spots.
I also used the cloning brush on the pillows, to clean them up a little. When I was all finished, I created a new, complete oval around the image, centering it the best I could. I realize the oval is not quite the same shape, but I was also working to keep to the 800 pixel width size.
When I was all done, I used clarify, and then soft focus. I used a feathered selection to keep the soft focus off the face.
The program I used is Paint Shop Pro 8.