Registered: November 2003
This is my first attempt at photo restoration.
The first thing I did was try to get rid of the tape marks with cloning.
I left the man and tires for last.
I then used the wall tutorial here, to redo all sections of the walls. I also used the same technique for the road, only after adding noise, I used a motion blur along the same direction as the road. I used the burn tool for all shadows, including the ones on the walls, around the leaning man, and under the car.
I worked on the man to the left next. I did a Google image search using "leaning man" and came up with several images. I ended up with 3 bodies to use, and the one I used looked most realistic. It only needed to be flipped and resized. I touched up the face with airbrush.
The tires and wheels were the hardest part for me. I ultimately ended up airbrushing most of the damaged parts, using eyedropper many times to get new colors to use. Once I got the front driver's side tire done, I copied it, resized it, and pasted it over the damaged passenger side tire.
For the car, I used smudge tool to smoothen out the noise. I found it gave the car a shiny appearance. I did not touch the driver or the seat he's sitting in.
For finishing touches, I used eyedropper to get a sample color from the original. I used a hue/saturation adjustment layer, and selected colorize, to help the photo retain the original color tones.