Registered: August 2001
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I took notes on this one, and I¡¦ll *try* to decipher the scribble. º
I checked the different channels, and decided that the red channel wasn¡¦t in the best of shape. I targeted the blue channel, select all, copy. Targeted the red channel, and pasted the blue channel information on it. I made an adjustment layer with levels set at 19, 157, 211, and lowered the opacity to 79%. I used curves to set the white point on the man¡¦s shirt showing at the neck. Switched to LAB, and made a curves adjustment layer with input 37 and output 51. I still wasn¡¦t happy, so I made another one with input 47 and output 70. I dodged the man¡¦s left arm quite a lot, but I wasn¡¦t done with it. Switched to RGB. Made a duplicate layer, used multiply blending mode, and 56% opacity. Then came a curves adjustment layer, and a red channel adjustment with input 71, and output 76. Made a duplicate layer with screen blending mode, and filled with black so I could paint with white to lighten the skintones, the ladies pants, and the right part of the image that was too dark. Sampled the color of his shirt, then painted on a new layer in color blending mode to correct the left side of his shirt. I chose a new skin color as my foreground color, then filled a new layer in color blending mode. Filled with black, then painted with white for all skintones. Made a path with pen tool (Thanks Ron) around his left arm. Saved the selection. Activated the alpha channel, duplicated it, then ran a gaussian blur at 4.9 pixels. This was used as a selection to bring the arm back into the proper tonal range. Used the pen tool to make a path around the subjects, saved as selection, duplicated the alpha channel, and used gaussian blur at 4.9 pixels again. Inverted to select the background. Picked a light green for the walls, and painted on a new layer in color blending mode. Added noise (can¡¦t remember how much) to bring it into character with the rest of the image. Used a little darker green for the trim, using the same technique as above. Cleaning up the scratches and junk was done with the clone stamp with a soft brush, healing tool with a hard brush, and the patch tool. Throughout the processes, I used the fade command, and lowered opacity when needed. At this point the skintones were still a little dark, so I made a duplicate layer with screen blending mode, filled with black so I could paint with white where needed. To fill in the whites of the eyes, I used R240, G240, and B220, This was also used for the catchlights in her eyes that had become contaminated with color. I added more red in variations to warm up the skintones a little. Her face looked pretty decent by now, but his was still too brown. Thinking that he might have been a little darker skinned, I pretty much left it alone, but I did paint red on the nose, cheekbones, chin and ear. This was done on a new layer in color mode, and the opacity was lowered until it just made a slight difference. Many times during the process, the image was flattened to keep file size down. Saved the image at 600 X 845 pixels. I forgot to mention that I also used s curves adjustment layer to get more contrast in the image early on.