RetouchPRO

Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

  Home · Search · Register  

Home » Challenges » Restoration Challenges » Restoration Challenge #84 « Previous image · Next image »
« more ·
11481Tough-one.jpg
<<
261201hcretouch1.jpg
<
1398Dress_nightmare.jpg
·
26075retoucher.jpg
>
13919CameraKen_1hc.jpg
>>
· more »

1398Dress_nightmare
Dress_nightmare
View Smaller Image

Photo Details
Matt Roberts



Junior Member

Registered: December 2002
Location: Australia
users gallery
I tried to keep the old photo look by using the original background.
Also it saves a lot of restoration work.

The Dress – I had a terrible time with it.
The original dress looked hand painted.
I selected it and clone repaired it as best I could.
It was still a mess, so I hit it with median blur.
And added some noise to lessen the blurred effect.
I sampled colors from the original and used paintbrush
to paint back the colored pattern.

The hair – I accidentally created the hairline when cloning on her forehead.
It rather liked the look of the higher hairline.
I’m not good on hair and experience has taught me that if I keep fiddling with hair I’ll only make a bigger mess of it.

The face – I cloned and patched to even skin tones.
Then used Neat Image to reduce grain.
The damaged eye was tough to repair.
The eyebrows are very big and bushy.
I was going to thin them a little but I grew to like the look
of her face with those big brows.

Matt
· Date: 4/29/2006 · Views: 5067 · Filesize: 32.5kb, 192.2kb · Dimensions: 720 x 937 ·
Additional Info
Keywords: Matt
Print View


Author
Thread  
Lorraine

Senior Member

Registered: September 2001
Location: Flemington, NJ
Posts: 219
4/30/2006 4:27am

Matt, very nice work.

Her hairline does look natural. The eyes, nose, mouth and skin tones are great.

Your dress is fine My reaction to the original was that the "artist" just slapped too much thick paint over the print, which I thought was comprised of leaves and flowers. You did a nice job in reducing that and blending it into the background fabric.

Lorraine
This user is offline
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Find more posts by this user Visit this user's gallery  
Matt Roberts

Junior Member

Registered: December 2002
Location: Australia
4/30/2006 9:50am

Thanks for the comments Lorraine,
I agree with your thoughts about the dress.
The original dress was colored with crude daubs of thick paint.
I spent ages trying to restore it.
When I finished, the dress stood out like a neon sign.
It dominated the photo when I wanted the girls face to be the focal point.
I de-saturated and lightened the bright colors then added a yellow tint.
I hit it with everything I could think of to tone it down.
I like your idea replacing the blotches of paint with a nice floral pattern.

Matt
This user is offline
Click here to see this users profile Click here to Send this user a Private Message Visit Matt Roberts's homepage! Find more posts by this user Visit this user's gallery  

Powered by: PhotoPost PHP vB3 Enhanced
Copyright 2007 All Enthusiast, Inc.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved