Registered: August 2001
|I saw this painting for only a split second, but it made a big impression on me. It may be famous, I have no idea. I started to reproduce it in Photoshop, but then I thought it might make a fun Challenge to paint something purely from a description (and a subjective description, at that).
It's obviously an oil or acrylic painting, very dark and heavily textured. It's big, and taller than it is wide. The background is a solid texture, reminding me of rust or decay. Towards the top of the painting are 4 squares, equidistant from each other and centered horizontally. They have a similar texture to the background, only darker and maybe even more distressed. The whole color palette reminds me of old, corroded iron. Or maybe old bloodstains.
There is a soft but distinct light shining on all 4 squares, but fading quickly so that the background is mostly in the dark. The 4 squares are obviously hanging or floating above the background, even though this is a painting.
If it turns out this is a painting you recognize, contact me privately but don't post that information publicly. The idea is to see what everyone comes up with, and if we can all see the original there won't be much of a challenge.
Challenge: Render this painting from the above description. After you've tried to match the description and posted your result, feel free to post variations this might inspire for you
Post the results here using the following guidelines:
- Make sure you're using the largest version of the Challenge photo
- Enter your name in "Enter a title for the photo"
- Enter the Challenge type and number in "Descriptive Keywords" (ie: "Photo-Art Challenge #501" or "Manipulation Challenge #132"
- Include a complete description of the steps you used under "Photo Description". (You might want to write it elsewhere and paste it here)
- Attach your file as an 800 pixel wide JPG file, compressed so that the overall file is under 200k (this usually means 60% compression).
- Make sure you post to the correct Challenge
- If you expect any comments for your entry, offer your comments to other entries
As always, there are no winners, no losers, no prizes, only a sharing and learning opportunity for everyone.
How you retouch and how much you retouch is up to you, as long as you fulfill the Challenge. Have fun, and good luck!
NOTE: As is the case for ALL RetouchPRO Challenges, there is NO expiration date on this Challenge. Even after other Challenges go up, feel free to upload your version