The first thing i did was apply the dust and scratch filter (bad move i know), Then i cloned all the marks out quickly "was in a hurry to see if i could fix the light patches". To try and fix those areas i made about 10 layers, darkening them 5 points at a time and erasing the top layer where it was too light. Then i colored it up a tad, added some contrast to Ash then layed the black and white over the top as a overlay at 20% the grass was burning my eyes.
Should have done the shading first so i could see what i was cloning. Oh well next time.
Well done toe. At least you've brought some good colour into it. I like the green of the leaves. Don't know what software you are using but if it's photoshop maybe a once over with the shadow/highlights in image adjustments would have helped to lighten it and bring out more detail. Thanks for trying.
toe Junior Member
Registered: May 2007 Posts: 26
Yes does look dark i reckon too, I tried to leave the middle of the picture the same brightness as it was and darken the lighter patches, Went a bit too far! I'm using photdeluxe and just learning that to, on a laptop with a flat screen so it's a bit hard to see what these pictures really look like. I was tempted to turn up the brightness or contrast a bit but that would have shown up all my rough cloning.
Learning as i go though.
Registered: November 2005 Location: England UK Posts: 53
Nice Job, The hand colouring is very good, ive not tried that on a restoration yet. I have the same trouble when i view some of mine on a flat screen too, now i just be even more careful.