RetouchPRO

Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

  Home · Search · Register  

Home » Challenges » Restoration Challenges » Restoration Challenge #103 « Previous image · Next image »
« more ·
HenryNMyrtle.jpg
<<
Henry_Myrtle_sd.jpg
<
Henry_Myrtle21.jpg
·
Henry_Myrtleret.jpg
>
Henry_Myrtle_x.jpg
>>
· more »

Henry_Myrtle21
Henry & Myrtle

Photo Details
Eltham


Junior Member

Registered: August 2009
users gallery
I started by copying Myrtle, Henry and the flower into a new layer, then the tin lid on which they are printed into another.
I applied an average blur to the tin lid then restored the vignetting with the burn tool and the dodge tool to enhance the highlight across the top.

I used the magnetic lasso to track the borders of the cracked section selecting them on by one and copying them into new layers then using contrast and brightness to match the tone each side of the border. A soft erase brush was used to remove the side of the copied section opposite the cracks before emerging once an even tone was achieved. The cracks were then removed using clone and heal tools. i also used the smudge and blur tool on some areas to remodel contours and shadows (i'm a sculptor so this comes naturally to me). During the course of this it wass apparent that there was a noticeable mesh pattern from the silk screen process (I guess!) which was leaving tracks in the clone stamp areas so I decided to get rid of it with a gaussian blur with a view to restoring it later. Once I'd repaired the cracks I concentrated on adusting the shade of the white areas; I didn't want them to become too whit and lose that vintage patina so I copied them into new layers and used layer transparency to feed brightness in to the level I wanted.

To restore the dot matrix mesh pattern I used a pattern template from apple works, copied it into CS3 and rasterised it. I then used that to create a selection tool. i copied Myrtle and Henry into three new layer and split these into red, green and blue components using colour balance. The selection tool was then used stamp out a dot matrix pattern from each of these but I moved the selection tool by a pixel or so each time so that there was a slight registration difference. i then reduced the transparency of each layer and merged them to produce a colour RGB image. A slight gaussian blur merged the registration error slightly and then the effect was laid over the original and controlled with transparency and saturation sliders. As a final touch, I couldn't resist just colouring Henry's button hole slightly...
· Date: 8/31/2009 · Views: 3269 · Filesize: 69.7kb · Dimensions: 600 x 448 ·
Additional Info
Keywords: restoration 103
Print View


Powered by: PhotoPost PHP vB3 Enhanced
Copyright 2007 All Enthusiast, Inc.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved