RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > AKVIS Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKVIS Support Forum Official support forum for the AKVIS line of plugins and applications.

Those green areas in Enhancer

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 AM

Re: Those green areas in Enhancer

here is my screenshot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (97.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM

Hi AKVIS,

That screenshot is interesting. It is showing the same black areas on my monitor screen as the one I produced on my system. If you can't see black areas on that picture, it has something to do with our monitors. I'll import your screenshot into my Photoshop CS and see what I can come up with.

Our Kodak Z712 IS camera uses one of the sRGB color spaces. I get the green/black area problem in Enhancer whether I use that profile unchanged or convert to my normal working space of Adobe RGB. Incidentally, when I view "Out of Gamut" in Photoshop CS, I do see an extensive amount of out-of-gamut in the green foliage areas. My Enhancer 9.0 demo has only one day left, so I will be uninstalling it and installing Enhancer 9.1 demo in a couple of days.

Meanwhile, I will take a closer look at my color management in Photoshop CS. I may also install Enhancer in my Photoshop Elements 5.0. Oddly, it still seems to think that I have older versions of Enhancer and Noise Buster in its Filters list, but says they have expired. Sketch just creates an Internal Program Error and suggests I should re-install the application. Is there any way to make Elements 5.0 "forget" the previous AKVIS demos?

This picture shows the available details about the Kodak color space.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color mgmt 1.JPG (90.7 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM

Hi AKVIS,

I did import your screenshot into Photoshop CS to get a more quantitative idea about the black areas that appear on your version of Enhancer processing on the test image. Your version came from your attachment with no attached profile, so it came into Photoshop with no color modification and no color management.

The attached image shows a sampling of your black area with very low values of R, G, and B. The Eye Dropper tool (visible in the attached screen capture) was reading R=6, G=6, and B=0 at the time of the Print Screen. Those readings fluctuated throughout the area, but remain low with values ranging from 12 down to 0. The G values in that area should have been in the range of 60 to 80. That tells me that you did experience the same problem, or a very similar green/black area problem to the one that I experienced.

Those black (extremely dark) areas are an unsightly blemish that Enhancer produced on your system.

Incidentally, while I concede that the color management settings on my system may not be the best possible, they are fairly good because I produce a lot of good results on my system using other Photoshop filters. I have had these unsatisfactory color results only with the Enhancer demo. Incidentally, my Enhancer 9.0 demo has just now expired, so I will uninstall it and install the Enhancer 9.1 demo for further testing.

The attached picture is rather low quality because of high JPEG compression at your facility followed by additional high JPEG compression on my computer to show the results of color sampling measurements in my Photoshop CS, while staying within the rather stringent 100-KB limit imposed by this forum.

It appears to me that you did confirm my problem, based on color measurements from your image. You can see my attached picture better if you expand it to full screen, because it is rather large in pixel measurements.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AKVIS-PS CS.JPG (98.1 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 AM

hi greybeard!

I have figured that we were talking about different things.

I thought that you meant the defect in the picture "Enhancer green 96K.JPG".
This color is following: R=5 G=165 B=7
We can't reproduce this "effect". I guess, your profile settings is playing here.
It is bug but we can't get it.

Now I see that you mean just the dark area - shadow - under the leaf.
It is dark area and it becomes more dark after Enhancer.
Here you are right, but the tool works in this way. We write that "it strengthens the difference between adjacent pixels having different color gradations". This is so.

So sometimes you can get areas which become more dark and more contrast then you want.

However we are working on this problem. We are going to add a new mode to the program which will work absolutely in a different way. We have tested your picture with our new tool (as a prototype) - it works good.
Also we are going to add Keep/Drop tools for the current Enhancer mode and for this new mode as well as the tools work in the Focus mode.
These pencils will allow you to define the effect areas.

But it will take time, these new features will release not in the nearest future.

As for your question about "the previous AKVIS demos":
If you have the latest versions on your computer just copy the 8bf files from the folder C:\Program Files\AKVIS\Sketch (or\Enhancer) to the PlugIns folder of your image editor.
By the way the new version of Sketch is available with new great effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Meanwhile with the current version you can use the masking method as written in the thread:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/akv...fic-areas.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Hi AKVIS,

Quote:
I thought that you meant the defect in the picture "Enhancer green 96K.JPG".
The black (very dark) areas show up in Enhancer's preview as bright green and then show up dark in the processed image. So the bug under discussion has two aspects: a Preview bug and a processing bug. A bright green area in the Preview serves (perhaps unintentionally) as a warning that an erroneously dark area is going to show up in the processed image.

If it develops that the foibles of integer arithmetic are behind this problem, you might want to consider going to floating point arithmetic for your image processing and then convert the results to integer RGB for the output file. Other leading graphics programs have finally adopted this approach. If you haven't already done that, circumstances may eventually make that conversion attractive for you.

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 AM

But we can't reproduce your bright green color.
We would not believe in this if it were not your screenshot.

You are right about the dark zone (it's dark) but it must work in such way with our algorithm.
As for bright green - we do not see this.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > AKVIS Support Forum