RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > AKVIS Support Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AKVIS Support Forum Official support forum for the AKVIS line of plugins and applications.

Those green areas in Enhancer

Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Question Those green areas in Enhancer

Hi all,

When using the Enhancer demo I encountered the appearance of green areas. I suspect this means that the colors in the green area are out of range of the color profile. Frequently the green areas turn solid black when I apply Enhancer processing, which is never a desirable result for me.

I could find nothing in the Enhancer PDF on this subject. The checkbox to "Suppress Color Profile Warnings" on page 24 Fig 6 suggests the possibility that color profile problems could exist, but apparently makes no further mention of the subject. Ironically, the green areas that I am referring to apparently are showing in Fig 3 on page 22 of the PDF. Only I see them much more intensely and frequently.

Many of the images I processed had an sRGB ICC profile (from a digital camera), which I did not convert to my Adobe RGB profile in Photoshop CS, but opted to use the existing profile. Perhaps I should have made that conversion. In any case, in my opinion, the Enhancer PDF should be expanded to address the green areas, what they mean, and how to properly deal with them. I just posted this query on the AKVIS website, but thought it might get the benefit of a wider exposure here.

GB

Last edited by greybeard; 04-21-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add the word "of" in the last line
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 09:35 PM

Re: Those green areas in Enhancer

Hi, greybeard. Thank you for your report!
Please write what version of Enhancer do you use? We have fixed some serious problem in v.9.1 which was released last Friday. If you use the version 9.1 and still have problems please send us the screenshot of a picture in the Enhancer window and this original picture for testing to this address: support@akvis.com .
What OS do you use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 AM

Hi AKVIS,

I am currently using the version 9.0 demo and it has 8 days remaining, so I plan to use those 8 days so as not to waste them before installing version 9.1. I'm a fairly busy person, so 10 days isn't a lot of time for me to evaluate a demo. I downloaded 9.0 previously but didn't find time to install it until recently, so I am a little behind your development cycle. I have downloaded several previous versions of Enhancer and used them for the alloted 10 days. My OS is Windows XP Pro with SP2. If Enhancer 9.1 also has the green areas, I will comply with your request and send you a screen shot and one of my image files that evoke the problem.

Actually, most of the JPEG files from our Kodak Z712 IS digital camera display the green areas if you attempt to make fairly large adjustments on Enhancer's sliders. And, as I mentioned above, one of the figures in your Enhancer manual seems to show the green areas. The only way to avoid serious green zone problems is to make very timid slider settings. So it won't be difficult for me to find a file that gives a good display of the problem.

Photoshop has an option to show out-of-gamut color areas, but this green area thing in Enhancer doesn't seem to be an option, and since I wind up with black areas in my processed images, it isn't something I can ignore, either.

I should be able to get back to you with a report on Enhancer 9.1 in 9 or 10 days.

GB
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 AM

You can use your trial period for the version 9.0 and then new 10 days for the version 9.1.
The evaluation period starts from the first using of the program.

But I guess you will have the same problem with the next version if you use the great value of parameters. If your pictures have green px in dark zone you only increase this color by increasing value of parameters.

By the way, we have this option "to show out-of-gamut color areas" in our wish-list for Enhancer. We are going to add this feature further.

Now please send us your pictures and settings you used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:05 PM

Hi AKVIS,

A few hours ago I emailed you a copy of the an original JPEG just as it came from our Kodak Z723 IS digital camera that is one of the many pictures that have had the "green areas" problem. The file was named 100_0631.jpg (as assigned by the camera itself) and was 3072 x 2304 pixels with a file size of 1.75 MB.

You can see a smaller version at original image

I am attached an annotated and downsized version of the file to this message. One of my hobbies is amateur zinnia breeding, and this is a photo of one of my recent hybrids.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original 94K.JPG (94.1 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 PM

Hi AKVIS,

This is a view of the green areas in Enhancer in the "Default" Enhancer mode.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Enhancer green 96K.JPG (96.4 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Hi AKVIS,

When you Apply Enhancer, those "green" areas turn black. That makes the processed (enhanced) image useless.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enhancer black 99K.JPG (99.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 PM

hi greybeard,

Sorry for the delay. We were testing your image. Unfortunately we can't reproduce this bug.
We have tried different settings, different profiles. It can't be repeated!

Please give us more detail:
1. Your Color Settings in Photoshop.
2. The Color management in your system - all settings.
3. Your monitor profile.
4. Also please write what video card you use and which driver. Did you set any additional settings for 3D games?

We are looking forward to your reply!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 AM

Hi AKVIS,

I was surprised you couldn't reproduce the problem with the image. The attached image shows my color settings. Incidentally, I am using Photoshop CS (version 8).

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color mgmt 2.JPG (99.4 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 AM

Your picture looks good in our computers, indeed we have tested on different machines.

What about other points (2,3,4)? please answer
Your Photoshop settings looks good.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > AKVIS Support Forum