RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Art Tag
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Art Tag Community Art Project where multiple players pass an image along until it is completed

Rose

Old 01-13-2003, 02:32 PM

Rose

A little something to get you in the [color=dark red]Valentine Mood:[/color]

Greetings all! It’s time for another round of (everyone all together now)…ART TAG!

[color=dark red]Valentine's Day[/color] is fast approaching so I thought for this art tag we would go with a [color=dark red]Valentine theme.[/color] The starting photo is of a lovely rose. I know it's a bit early, but I see that all the stores have already put out their Valentine goodies so I thought we would too.

SO, if you are interested in playing, just send me a PM! This round will start 17 Jan.

Don't know how to play? Click here to learn more.

Below are some interesting tidbits about [color=dark red]Valentine [/color]symbols:

Quote:
[color=dark red]Symbols Found on Valentines[/color]

Ribbons, Laces and Frills
Ribbons and frills have been associated with romance since the days of knighthood when a knight rode into battle with a ribbon or scarf given him by his lady fair. The dictionary states that the word "Lace" comes from a Latin word meaning to "snare" or "noose".

Cupid
Cupid was one of the gods of mythology. In Latin, the word Cupid means "desire." Cupid is typically represented as a chubby, naked, winged boy or youth with a mischievous smile. He possessed a bow with a quiver of arrows by which he transfixed the hearts of youths an and maidens.Cherubs are descendants of Cupid. They are depicted as lovable little winged creatures without arrows and quivers. Cherubs were typically not mischievous like Cupid.

The Rose
The rose, which is undoubtedly the most popular flower in the world, speaks of love and has been the choice of lovers in every century. If you rearrange the letters of the word rose you get Eros, the god of Love.

Hands
A lady's hands was a favorite decoration that depicted "femininity." Its beauty was enhanced by adding a frilly cuff and a jeweled ring on the third finger. Clasped hands are symbols of the friendship.

Turtle Doves and Love Birds
"Oft have I heard both youth and virgin say
Birds choose their mates, and couples too, this day;
But by their flight I never can divine,
When I shall couple with my Valentine."
~Herrick

It was thought that birds chose their mate for the year on February 14. Doves and pigeons mate for life and therefore were used as a symbol of "fidelity."

Puzzik-circa 1840. A puzzik is a quaint sort of homemade valentine which was a sort of puzzle that the receiver had to solve. Not only did she have to decipher the message but also to figure how to refold the paper once it was opened. The order of the verses was usually numbered, and the recipient had to twist the folds to determine what was being said.

Daguerreotype-popular from 1840 to the Civil War. An old-time tintype was found in the center of a card surrounded by an ornamented wreath. Another type was a "Mirror Valentine" which had a small mirror placed in the center to reflect the happy face of the receiver.

Rebus. Although it had many forms, a rebus usually was a romantic verse written in ink with certain words omitted and illustrated with a picture. Meant to be a riddle, they were not always easy to decipher.
~T

Last edited by T Paul; 02-04-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 12:53 AM

Still looking for a few more players. Anyone out there want to take a shot at art tag? I promise it's fun and almost painless

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:36 PM

Well this round is now closed. Thanks to all that played. Your work was fantastic as always!

One player never did respond back, so they did not get to participate in this round. Please don't forget to check your RetouchPro mailboxes if you sign up to play. I hope to hear from you for the next round of Art Tag, as new players are always welcomed!!

The starting image came from FreeImages.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose.jpg (12.1 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by T Paul; 01-22-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:37 PM

Here is how the image changed from person to person:
Attached Images
File Type: gif progress.gif (96.9 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
Here's a special Valentine from Art Tag to You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final.jpg (97.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 07:19 PM

That is just fabulous. What a beautiful work this turned out to be. I have to know, who added I love "ewe" ? That was perfect. great job all.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 09:11 PM

nice, it's always neat to see how it progresses! yeah, who did that, the "eye" love "ewe" was great!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 10:50 PM

I agree...when I got the "I love you" Rebus style entry I thought it was the perfect touch! Of course I liked everyone's contributions!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2003, 11:56 PM

I'm the one who added the "eye heart ewe".

Great job everyone! I love the final "frame" - it really gives the whole thing a finishing touch!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Art Tag