RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Art Tag
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Art Tag Community Art Project where multiple players pass an image along until it is completed

Art Tag Quilt- Courtyard

Old 02-25-2004, 05:49 PM

I like the way this came out!

I duplicated the layer, desatureated, ran curves to brighten, then find edged. Duplicated the original layer and put it on top of the desat. changed the blend mode so many times I forget what one I picked! Then merged those two layers and went through the blend modes again, yup just kept going through till I found one I liked.
Flatten, dup the layer, run in Paint Engine, bring down the opacity and fill, flatten duplicate layer ran through PE again - I forget which brush strokes (sorry) then ran emboss on the layer, brought down the opacity and fill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-25-2004, 11:18 PM

Nice job everyone. I feel that in future Quilt challenges, we should have a theme which everyone follows. In this image, I made it a night scene, gina has made a monochrome and some others have adopted a artistic approach. This way, the final picture still looks like an ensemble of unrelated images, rather than a cohesive unit. Maybe Paul can suggest us some theme in the next Quilt challenge.

What I did - I used Gimp.Adjusted the levels of each color to make it look like night. Then used a lighting filter to place a glow on the garden lamp. copy pasted snake and mouse
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsg
I feel that in future Quilt challenges, we should have a theme which everyone follows.
Good idea. I have to admit that I didn't really stick with the original instructions. When I saw my piece, I tried to add realistic touches to the image thinking that it might merge cohesively with the other segments. As a result I added the abstract marble sculpture and the duck in the pool. I was pretty far off.

We'll do better on the next one with a little directon. I like the idea of striving for a cohesive result.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 12:52 AM

Hi all,

I don't really think I want to end up with everyone doing the same kind of thing so that we have a framable finished art piece. I actually really like the variety of styles on the quilt. I think the goal is the experience of seeing and sharing how differently the same scene can be interpreted in technique and mood. I love the element of surprise when someone does it the same or totaly different. Sorry to be contrary.

Now quilts do sometimes have overall patterns, such as light, dark, light, dark, etc. Different squares could have a general brightness if one were to want a balanced pattern made of the squares. But that assumes a change in the overall look. Who knows, the next one we all might be putting in objects and not changing the look - so who knows ...

Just want to say two more things,
-Did anyone see the frog I hid in plain sight - kinda?
-I love the B&W, great infared photo mood.

Great job by everyone.
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Roger - I agree with you, I like how the image has so many different styles. I love to see the different way people interpit the challenge.
With that said a theme type quilt would be an interesting add to the variations of Art Tag.

Roger asks:
"Did anyone see the frog I hid in plain sight - kinda?"

I noticed the lizard by the door, as for the frog is he/she in the fountain?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I love the element of surprise when someone does it the same or totaly different. Sorry to be contrary.
That's not being contrary. I just didn't quite understand the original premise. If a quilt is the guideline, I'll go nuts without any consideration of matching other pieces, except keeping the original image included in some form. I was just a little slow on comprehending the premise on this one. I might have added something like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg court6.jpg (31.5 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsg
I feel that in future Quilt challenges, we should have a theme which everyone follows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
I don't really think I want to end up with everyone doing the same kind of thing so that we have a framable finished art piece. I actually really like the variety of styles on the quilt. I think the goal is the experience of seeing and sharing how differently the same scene can be interpreted in technique and mood. I love the element of surprise when someone does it the same or totally different. Sorry to be contrary.
My intended purpose of this version of Art Tag was to let everyone see how differently you can interpret a scene, and pehaps even learn a new technique from another player. I got the idea from a class art project I did back in high school. The teacher took a couple of famous paintings and then divided them among the class. It was then up to each individual to recreate their portion of the scene in any medium and way they wanted as long as it remained true to the scene since all the pieces would be put back together to create the original painting. It was a fun project and the best part was seeing all the different ways people chose to recreate the painting. Some people used chalk, others charcoal, paint, fabric, clay...even noodles!

As for Art Tag Quilt, I thought everyone did an excellent job and liked seeing all the different techniques and even added elements. I kept the rules to a minimum to allow for creative interpretations of them.

However, for future Quilt games, if enough players want to we could try different variations such as you remain true to your scene to include color, elements, time of day and so on. That would help keep the final image in the same tone, but with different ways of accomplishing that look.

Send me your ideas and I will see what I can do.

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 02-26-2004 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 01:11 PM

Hi,

I quite liked the outcome even with the differences!
I made the pic b & w with the channel mixer and made the glowing with gblurred layers and multiply. I had to tweak between the layers so that the pic didn't get to dark overall.

gina

ps : I very much liked the changing to evening from svsg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2004, 11:06 PM

I am cool with every art tag being different - with different rules.
Lets shake it, spin it, stir at and have loads of fun!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Art Tag