RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > The BEST of Photo-Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The BEST of Photo-Art This subform contains links to several outstanding examples of photo-art tutorials, methods and posts within this forum. This is a good place to start for those new to this forum.

Toulouse Lautrec

Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Toulouse Lautrec

Has there ever been a challenge to alter a photo in the style of a Toulouse Lautrec poster? "MOULIN ROUGE?"

thanks,
jon

Or probably what I should be asking; can anyone direct me to a tutorial, explaining how to turn a photo into a Toulouse Lautrec style poster.....

Last edited by SkunkyMonk; 09-14-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: additional question
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 AM

Re: Toulouse Lautrec

Many of Lautrec's pieces have a very hand painted sketchy kind of look and for the most part his Moulin Rouge paintings are very subject specific. So the first requirement would be that the photo would resemble a Lautrec subject. I mean you wouldn't be painting pastoral hill sides with sheep. If you are a photographer, you could pose some shots.

Technically, there's no reason you can't emulate his painting style. Start with a "yellow paper background, which seems to be a trademark of his, grab some Photoshop or Painter media brushes, build a color palette, and start tracing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Swampy is correct. Lautrec's work, or a good deal of it, is sketchy and even clownish. I have a book showing photos of some of his Moulin subjects. He often painted from photos. And his paintings always included people.

Here is one attempt. I found it's best to start with a photo from the time period in which he painted. This is not an attempt at a poster, but is from
a 19th century photo.

I did this one a good while ago, so I can't help much with what I did, except that it envolved several plugins, including Buzz Pro.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa cc fin.jpg (98.9 KB, 246 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM

hey steve, thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for, can you give me the history of what you did, layers, filters, plug-in’s, etc.

The Photo looks great, it defiantly has that Lautrec feel, which is what I’m looking for, can you post a copy of the original, I'd really be interested in seeing the contrast.

Thanks again,
jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyMonk View Post
hey steve, thanks, that's pretty much what I was looking for, can you give me the history of what you did, layers, filters, plug-in’s, etc.

The Photo looks great, it defiantly has that Lautrec feel, which is what I’m looking for, can you post a copy of the original, I'd really be interested in seeing the contrast.

Thanks again,
jon
Hello Jon.

Sorry I can't give you a workflow on this. I did it over a year ago and about all I really remember is that I used Buzz Pro. I have several settings in Buzz that I made myself and to find the one or ones that I used would be almost impossible.

I do know that I did some layered blending and of course I had to start by colorizing the original.

Wish I could be of more help, but as everyone does, I will just say experiment.

This is the original.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa l B & W.jpg (64.2 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > The BEST of Photo-Art