RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Blogs > Panorama Mania
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My experiences, your experiments, general discussion on the fun of pano creation.
  1. Old Comment

The Nodal Point - part 2

Very interesting articles and very informative . I would like to buy one of these brackets but can not afford it right now.
  2. Old Comment

Photography technicalities

thanks.. this is one will work for me.
  3. Old Comment

The Art of Cropping

Technically (or not) speaking about the golden mean and cropping...

I look at it this way. If I draw a square. Then I take a diagonal measurement of that square, draw in a straight line the exact length of that measurement straight along one of the square's sides, I can create a rectangle that is the golden mean. I can take the original square and the resulting two rectangles and continue to break up that pattern over and over with the same proportions.
    Clear as mud? I had a drawing but couldn't make it show up in this post. But I did create a thread in the photography forum. ( http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post193446 )We used to play with the golden mean as an art form in art classes. It was sort of addicting as was designing with the Fibonacci mathematical sequence.
  4. Old Comment

The Nodal Point - part 2

Generally speaking the nodal point issue with an Hasselblad camera is the same as with any other cameras. Remember that it is the lens that will define where the nodal point is.
  5. Old Comment

The Nodal Point - part 2

interesting information, there wasn't any mention of Hasselblads on any of those links unfortunately...
  6. Old Comment

Stitching software

Thank you for the exhaustive list. I've actually tried a couple of those programs.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 (obviously) and find it does a wonderful job. Couldn't say that about CS2.

Ptgui is a program that also does a wonderful job. I have a friend who uses it exclusively; and the panos he makes are remarkable.

I also tried the free program autostitch. IMHO, you get what you pay for with this program. Yes, it did a great job stitching the pano together. It also gave me a final file size of about 200 kb. I couldn't even print it. To be fair, it might have been me and my infamous ability to get it wrong. Too late, I deleted it from the computer after a couple of trials.

Janet
  7. Old Comment

The Art of Cropping

If you were to crop it using the golden mean rule, how would you crop the image?
  8. Old Comment

The Art of Cropping

Frank, I think cropping is EXTREMELY important and very often totally neglected.

Folks will spend hours retouching / enhancing / painting images and not even consider for a minute how much a "simple" crop could improve the result.
    It's not an easy subject, and it's difficult to find good advice.

One thing that always makes me cringe is when they roll out the "rule of thirds" as being "balanced". Quite the contrary! If you put something at one of the thirds,you'll call attention to the other third. Put something there and you've got balance (and symmetry), leave it blank and it gets uncomfortble.
    Two thirds is 0.6666, golden mean is 0.6180 - it does make a difference.

9. Old Comment

Thank you Herbert Keppler

When I was a teen, I started reading Modern Photography, and read it off and on during my 20's - 30's. I couldn't afford any new equipment, but I remember reading the reviews and thinking about what I'd get when I could finally afford a 35mm SLR.

Thanks, Mr. Keppler for sharing your passion and knowledge with me and many others over many years.
  10. Old Comment

The Nodal Point - part 1

Great Info Frank, Thanks
  11. Old Comment

The Nodal Point - part 1

I had no idea what a nodal point was, or why I'd want to know, but as always, your explanation answers both questions. Then just as I was wondering "how the heck am I supposed to know where it is on my camera?", you also explain that those answers will be forthcoming - well done.
  12. Old Comment

Something different

Nice Zeppelin hangar!!
  13. Old Comment

New panorama links

Another recommended link to visit is Max Lyons Digital Image Gallery. He stitched a gigapixel image (over 1,000,000,000 pixels) which was exhibited in Las Vegas in 2004.To stitch the images he has develop his own program, PTAssembler, a front end GUI for the powerful Panorama Tools.
  14. Old Comment

Here is a different pano sequence

I also tried this program, not to bad. You can control stitch points and other settings. Free trail and only $10US to purchase.

http://www.zoner.com/panorama-maker
  15. Old Comment

You need to post it somewhere
  16. Old Comment

Old panoramic photos

My guess is, the stitching was done in the darkroom.
  17. Old Comment

I used AutoStitch to make a pretty nice one. Do I have to put the image on the net somewhere, I do not see a way to upload an image to your Blog.
  18. Old Comment

Old panoramic photos

Nice old pictures. Did they use a special camera and film, or were they joined in the dark room, spliced?
  19. Old Comment

This is a Rant: things I resent

You asked, "What gets to you in photography?"

The first and foremost thing that gets to me in photography has nothing to do with photography and everything to do with life. You see, it just gets in the way sometimes. When I want to go shoot, the weather doesn't cooperate; or my dear hubby has other plans; or my picture taking friends aren't available, etc. etc.

Mostly it is the latter of the three. Where I usually go, it pays to be on the buddy system. We have rugged hills, poisonous critters, nasty bugs, rabid skunks........... Did I mention isolated? Wouldn't want to get in trouble in them thar woods...alone.

I absolutely LOVE shooting digital. I've saved more money than I've spent just in film and processing costs alone. I feel I'm a better photographer now than ever. Viva la digital! Who cares how many pixels as long at it does what you want!

As for keepers: About 3-5 in a 150. The culling process began in earnest when I ran out of hard drive space the first time. Notice I said the first time.

Replying to the subject of this blog, I love panos. My contest entry for this month (Jan 08) is a pano. Enjoy.
  20. Old Comment

This is a Rant: things I resent

the camera body never matter, might be wanted but not mattered, what i have though always mattered was great glass, I cried when i sold my 4x5 but you know thigns chandge and move on, i know what kind of mood your in, time to buy somethign new for your gear- been down this road and that will kick you out of that downer mood-