RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Blogs > Ramble on
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

musings of a noob...follow along in my continuing education of; digital photography, post-processing and technology
  1. Old Comment

3D > 2D

Awesome question! I recently finished working on BBC Horizon : Is believing, seeing? Check it out if you can find it.

Film (and sometimes even stage), Magicians, Marketing already take advantage of the many visual-brain processes, such as;

•• the fact that we only process visual space in small blocks and make up the rest (CG Fight scenes in "Transformers" a little too much to take in?) which is why 25frames looks seamless to us

•• speed of the nervous system is about slow USB speed (in parallel)

•• we "make up" for contrast in peripheral vision… which is why the Mona Lisa in particular is visual genius: If you look at the eyes, the contrast of the mouth has been purposely painted to cue your brain to compensate, changing the expression on her face…

Next time you see a good movie, 3D or 2D, always look where the director doesn't want you to look.
  2. Old Comment

has the term "Photoshop" become generic?

fasnionbug - sad? But I agree the you should get the image is as good as you can in camera.

But I disagree that 'Photoshop' is a dirty word. It's only today's equivalent of the old darkroom; dodge & burn, cross process/bleach bypass.

And it does matter if the original image isn't great. You may be able to make a so-so image okay ~ but it can't really be made compelling...for that you need to start with a good image.

My point about knowing your way around post-processing still stands. Of course it shouldn't be overdone but if you don't know what's possible then you can't tweak the image subtly to perfection.

Being an expert in the digital retouching does not in any way excuse you from being a good photographer.
  3. Old Comment

it is sad that as you say we have come to a point where "you-have-to-be-an-excellent-photographer-PLUS-a-talented-and-knowledgeable-post-processor to really created a compelling image.". Nowadays, photoshop is so overused that l photo taking has been dumbed down to a state of rampant laziness (in my point of view).
    Now, it does not matter if the original image is overlit or underlit or the lighting is horrible,the easy answer is that it can be corrected in photoshop.
    I still do believe that a good image should be achieved straight through the camera and would only need basic retouching such as cleaning the imperfections on people face).
  4. Old Comment

Photoshop is now used as a verb just like Tivo.
  5. Old Comment

don't shoot the retoucher

I'll certainly look into it, thank you so much for the reply.
  6. Old Comment

2mittsphotog, start with the Canyon Conundrum

go here to read more;
    http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ing-books.html

there is a detailed discussion of the Margulis' books on DGrin.

and keep in mind the Margulis wrote those books before there was ACR (Adobe camera raw) which makes some of his arguments in favor of the Lab color space obsolete.
  7. Old Comment

I have a sneaking suspicion it it's the one: Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace! lol, should have done a search first! >.< sorry!
  8. Old Comment

Nasturtium, which book of Margulis are you reading? I need to delve more into the LAB color space it sounds like, and maybe his book would be the one for me. Thanks!
  9. Old Comment

It is a good idea! Now that you've mentioned it, maybe someone will put it together. The technology is certainly there. It is interesting to think about how photography and image processing have changed -- or maybe I should say, how the expectations for images has changed. So much more is possible now that it's hard to imagine what will come next.
    Becky
  10. Old Comment

the placement of wings on imaginary creatures

Goggled: winged centaur; 17,900 images; One winged centaur for your consideration. The subject deserves further consideration and imagination.

http://members.tripod.com/~Cinnamons...sy/centaur.gif
  11. Old Comment

Wacom Bamboo stylus top is an eraser

diacovoni,

I'm not very far into it but for starters I didn't know that holding the tip of my stylus over a tool on the toolbar would make all the other options appear...I had been grabbing the mouse and right clicking.

The process of understanding vectors ~ going deeper into what can be done with creating, combining and editing paths with the pen tool will enable me to work more efficiently there.

I'd never really used 'place' before either...and now I'm finding it rather handy in PS.

those kind of tips are what I meant since there's a lot of crossover between the Adobe Creative Suite programs.
  12. Old Comment

Can you elaborate on how illustrator will make you re-think how you use photoshop. I have a book to learn illustrator as well, just haven't spent the time. How will it change my photoshop work flow?
  13. Old Comment

I have known about the eraser for a long time but usually I just select the eraser tool since that seems more natural for me than flipping the pen over. You can learn keyborad shortcuts as well. Look in the software help file to find them.
  14. Old Comment

the placement of wings on imaginary creatures

I've always found the wings thing a bit of a suspension-of-disbelief situation: animals that do have wings don't have arms too, so wings on a person, or a horse, or a centaur are already implausible
  15. Old Comment

Concept camera/Stuff you need to know

"Then I wouldn't cover the LCD with nose grease"

Well, A hassy would fix that
    http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/ima...sselblad-1.jpg

But it would also fix the weight of your wallet...
  16. Old Comment

my place in geekdom is confirmed

Littlecoo-you sound like a lady after my own heart. I dare you to walk up to the Bobby Brown counter and ask for color #6b3044
  17. Old Comment

my place in geekdom is confirmed

Oh yes, I'm hearin' ya LOL!
    Quote:
    If only I knew of an online lipstick color database
    Or how about PMS numbers- for those of us that keep Pantone swatch books in our handbags...ya know...just in case. 'Monsoon Cherry'? What the heek colour is that??? Gimmie PMS#221C!
  18. Old Comment

Windows > Mac

Buying a MAC or PC is a preference because I use both and I find the my Photoshop CS4 runs better on my PC. If your PC monitor was dark it's because you didn't calibrate it, which means that your MAC monitor is probably not calibrated either and believe me, it's too bright to do any serious retouching with.

I can only assume that the people who complain about "logical" navigation on a PC are just not computer saavy. Because a 4 year old can operate a certain brand of computer doesn't make it better.

I probably wouldn't have commented on this if you would have mentioned the real reason why you bought a MAC and it was simply because; you wanted one.
    Posted 08-03-2010 at 02:30 PM by PhiladelphiaPro PhiladelphiaPro is offline
  19. Old Comment

iPad - resistance is futile

While I am not an aPpLe fan at all, in fact I dislike the company greatly but that feud goes back about 30yrs. Still while the iPad is nothing new nor is it exciting from a tech POV, it is a nice device. It makes a nice ebook reader when not in the direct sunlight, serviceable video player and essentially most of the features I had on my old Sony nx73v PDA from 1994 all in a nice larger slat PC form factor...it is a nice start for the product family. Still I am resisting until the market for Slate PC's matures a bit more over the next 6-10 months. I still have high hopes for devices based on the PixelQi brand panels as well as the PVI color EPD panels (think color Eink brand type displays...and for those who don't know, Eink is a brand not a type of display...but color EPD panels are about 12-18 months away right now soooo, if the right deal comes along sooner like a basic 16gb or even 32gb, face it memory is cheap, iPad for $200 new, ummmm, that would be near to impossible to resist, even for this long suffering MS guy....I do think the Nano family of devices are about the coolest MP3 player ever, if that helps...hehehehe )

What I would LOVE is a version of the iPad that supports full tethering but that is gonna be a generation or two for any of the devices in this class.

I really have yet to read where anyone has a vaild reason for not liking using an iPad. other reasons are personal and all equally vaild or specious but from a use standpoint, the iPad is a nice device...you have no idea how hard that is to write!! hehehe...
  20. Old Comment

Two book reviews

Oh great! Another wonderful distraction from real life. I'm excited to have found your blog from your Flickr profile. I appreciate both these recommendations and very much enjoy your senses of beauty and humour. I'll looking forward to seeing what you post next.