RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Photo Restoration & Manipulation Experts Needed...

Old 11-01-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ
I AM a business owner, as are both my parents.

The only one of those expenses that increase with the price of the job is tax - and that is a proportionate to the increase in price.

Looking at the examples of your website I'd say there is plenty of evidence that the jobs are rushed and mediocre to make larger profits. Theres nothing wrong with looking for truely talented creative people - the likes of which there are plenty here, to increase the quality of service you can provide but you should be prepared to pay them accordingly.
Sounds like you may be a great talented Artist, on top of being a "business owner" It's very easy to critique something, however I don't see any links to your work, so your words have no weight...

It's a VERY Ignorant thing to say that Advertising Doesn't cut into things
If it costs $10 to get a client through advertising, whether it is through televsion, newspaper etc... IT CUTS INTO THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Who knows, maybe you will be one of our TOP artists, and you would get more than $50 per photo, you could be the one that changes everything, but you need some Work to back it up...SO can we see some work...If you read our Original Ad closely it states "Compensation based on experience." therefore the $20-$50 is just a starting point. Again, where is the work???

Thank you for all the responses from the Artists on this board!!!
We have received many emails and we will respond to everyone.
Again Thank You... Some Very talented people here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 02:42 PM

I never said that advertising doesnt cut into profits - but it costs $10 to get a client it costs $10 not $10 to get a $50 client and $30 to get a $150 client.

I dont post links to my work specifically because I'm a very busy woman, I want to control exactly when and how much work I bring in so I dont take on more than I can manage and disappoint clients. Although its not difficult to search for my posts to find some examples of my work - though most of my portfolio is kept private.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Nancy....its the equivalent of being a retoucher in a retouching house.....the agency charges a fee, the person who does the retouching doesn't see all of that money. Some goes towards salary, some to rent, some to this some to that.

In essence emy is securing the jobs, filtering them down to the "workers" and cutting checks for the people. The retouchers are not supplying prints, are not doing their own leg work, are not doing any advertising, and IMHO $25-$50 per picture is a good rate for this type of stuff.

Kind of like working in a restaurant if you will. Chef cooks a lobster...the diner pays $30 for that meal...does the chef get all of it? NO...the waiter gets some, the rest. gets some, the dishwashers get some, etc etc.

It is basics of business
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2005, 08:04 PM

I don't know a lot about what goes on in this business generally but this doesn't sound criminal or totally unfair. It sounds kind of normal really.

In my other life I play trombone for orchestras as a freelancer. When I play a concert I don't see an equal portion of the ticket price for my performance. Some of that money goes to renting the hall, paying for ushers, advertising, conductors fees, principals fees, then somewhere down the line comes my fee.

As far as rate per photo? I don't know what competitive rates are but to draw another parallel to the orchestral world: I get paid per service/rehearsal/concert what have you. Generally each orchestra has a per service rate that is the same for rehearsals or concerts. Well, last week I played a big show, two hours long, hard music, lots of rehearsals, tired chops by the end of the night. This week? One 15 minute piece in the whole program! Same money, easier music, more time at home, chops not tired.

I don't know. Sounds pretty similar. In fact, you could probably substitute "photo r&r" in there for all the music.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo678
Nancy....its the equivalent of being a retoucher in a retouching house.....the agency charges a fee, the person who does the retouching doesn't see all of that money. Some goes towards salary, some to rent, some to this some to that.

In essence emy is securing the jobs, filtering them down to the "workers" and cutting checks for the people. The retouchers are not supplying prints, are not doing their own leg work, are not doing any advertising, and IMHO $25-$50 per picture is a good rate for this type of stuff.

Kind of like working in a restaurant if you will. Chef cooks a lobster...the diner pays $30 for that meal...does the chef get all of it? NO...the waiter gets some, the rest. gets some, the dishwashers get some, etc etc.

It is basics of business
Working in house for an agency they provide the hardware, software, pay the electricity bills and give you a guarenteed salary. Working freelance as a contractor you have no guarenteed salary and working from home means you have to cover your own bills as well as hardware and software.

If they were providing the software, hardware and paying the electricity bills then it would be a good deal but they're only concerned with their expenses and have no consideration for the expenses of their would be contractors.

In IT, a company can expect to pay around 4x more for a contracter than for salaried employee. The contractor gets around 50% of the fee and the rest goes to the agency.

Look at it from a consumer point of view - if you're paying $149 for a service you want to get your moneys worth, you're paying top dollar and you expect top quality work.
What you're actually getting is $50 worth. If the contractor wants to make a decent amount off it you're looking at probably an hours work - 90 minutes top.

Whereas if you'd gone direct you could have got 3 - 5 hours of top quality retouching for the same price.

Last edited by NancyJ; 11-02-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 01:35 AM

post deleted by myself due to RP rules violation as per discussed below.

Craig

Last edited by Craig Walters; 11-02-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 03:21 AM

Appropriate forum?

I wonder if there should be a policy that the classified section is for classifieds only, and not discussion? It seems a bit unfair that every second classified ad gets hijacked by a heated discussion on labour rules etc. If there are issues to comment on, maybe they should go in a more appropriate forum, with a link to the classified being discussed. We're going to put off any one posting job notices here if every one gets shot down in flames like this.

In my opinion this post seems perfectly fair, and nothing out of the ordinary for contract work. People need not apply if they don't find the salary to their tastes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 09:19 AM

I agree with Caitlin. If we continue to hijack classifieds, no one will post a job here for fear of getting flamed. The job was offered at a set amount. If you can't work for that amount, don't reply. I apologize for asking the original question about pay. I should've contacted the original poster privately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Janitor

Actually, that is the policy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 AM

Actually, I do agree that I guess our questions for the classifieds placed should be pm'd. I'm not saying anyone's opinion is right or wrong but a lot of problems would be better discussed in private to keep unnecessary bitterness at bay.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds