RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Classifieds (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/classifieds/)
-   -   Photo Restoration & Manipulation Experts Needed... (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/classifieds/11973-photo-restoration-manipulation-experts-needed.html)

Emy 10-31-2005 09:29 PM

Photo Restoration & Manipulation Experts Needed...

Phojoe is a Photo that is altered, either to improve it's appearance (Restoration) or to create a new one (Manipulation).

• Phojoe was created because of a need. The need to restore, recapture and recreate the memories that we have frozen in time through photos. We are a Dedicated group of artists and technicians that get excited each time a new photo comes our way. We are building an international network to help restore, archive & recreate the memories you cherish.

Some of our Services include…Photo Restoration, Photo Manipulation, Photo Retouching, Photo Slide Shows, Photo Slide Shows, Photo Art etc…

Skills & Attributes we look for in Restoration & Manipulation Artists:

• Schizophrenic Attention to Detail
• The Creativity of Dali
• Mastery of Photoshop or similar program
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Deep understanding of Anatomy, Colors & Lighting

Do you have what it takes to work with us? We are always looking for Artists who have mastered Photoshop and who have the Creativity of Dali. If you enjoy working from home & can meet tight deadlines, we look forward to working with you! Upload 5-10 samples of your BEST work & include any relevant info we should know about. Compensation based on experience. Thank you very much and we will respond shortly.

To Apply go to:
http://www.phojoe.com/contact.html - Scroll down to “Jobs” section to apply

emarts 10-31-2005 09:45 PM

What kind of pay are we talking about?

Nanls 10-31-2005 11:05 PM

Saw this ad on Craig's List tonight.
~Nancy~
http://www.fixthepixs.com
http://www.datepixs.com

Emy 11-01-2005 08:50 AM

What kind of pay...

$20-50 per photo based on it's complexity.

twinkissed 11-01-2005 09:03 AM

Does it matter if someone has their own web based business and need some side work?
Can a cap on the amount sent?
What form of payment is provided and does someone fill out a W-4?
What type of deadlines are usually required?
Just a few things I wanted to ask, hope you don't mind :blush:

NancyJ 11-01-2005 09:19 AM

Doesnt seem like a very good deal to me - you're charging $49 per hour (or is that $98 - not sure if the christmas 50% off is included in your listed prices) but you only pay $20-$50 per photo.

...just looking at your site in more detail it does seem to suggest that basic retouching costs $98 (after Dec 20) So you're paying 1/5th of that to the person doing the work? An 80% cut for you is rough for any business.

Emy 11-01-2005 09:42 AM

"Doesnt seem like a very good deal to me - you're charging $49 per hour (or is that $98 - not sure if the christmas 50% off is included in your listed prices) but you only pay $20-$50 per photo."

Our prices range from $49 to $149 - Basic to moderate Restorations are charged at $49. We are looking for very skille Restoration Artists, A "$20" photo should not take more than 30 minutes to complete and Re-Upload back to us. - DO the math...3 $20 photos in 1 hour = $60 - Try finding a Retouching job that pays that!

"Does it matter if someone has their own web based business and need some side work?
Can a cap on the amount sent?
What form of payment is provided and does someone fill out a W-4?
What type of deadlines are usually required?"

If your work is of top quality we don't mind if you have a side business, however, keep in mind that the work we provide is copyrighted and can't be posted on your website.
Payment will be Paypal or Company check.
Deadlines will range from 1-5 days, it really depends...

Yes we did also post on Craigslist also, and many other sites.
Again we are looking for some talented and reliable artists who enjoy working from home. WE are anticipating a VERY BUSY holiday season.

NancyJ 11-01-2005 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emy
"Doesnt seem like a very good deal to me - you're charging $49 per hour (or is that $98 - not sure if the christmas 50% off is included in your listed prices) but you only pay $20-$50 per photo."

Our prices range from $49 to $149 - Basic to moderate Restorations are charged at $49. We are looking for very skille Restoration Artists, A "$20" photo should not take more than 30 minutes to complete and Re-Upload back to us. - DO the math...3 $20 photos in 1 hour = $60 - Try finding a Retouching job that pays that!

But a more complex job could take several hours - to give the top quality and creative results that you want. Which could drop the hourly rate to a miniscule sum. The 'artist' gets $50 and you get twice that. Given that the work involved on your part is not significantly more for a $49 than a $149 why such a HUGE difference in the ratio received by the artist?
For a small job you make $29 the artist gets $20.
For a complex job you get $99 and the artist gets $50 but you've done very little extra work. On the large jobs you're getting more than 3x but the artist gets 1.5x.

Paying per picture encourages rushed, sloppy work.

Just the same as everyone else, you want it fast, cheap and top quality.

Emy 11-01-2005 11:10 AM

^

"But a more complex job could take several hours - to give the top quality and creative results that you want. Which could drop the hourly rate to a miniscule sum. The 'artist' gets $50 and you get twice that. Given that the work involved on your part is not significantly more for a $49 than a $149 why such a HUGE difference in the ratio received by the artist?
For a small job you make $29 the artist gets $20.
For a complex job you get $99 and the artist gets $50 but you've done very little extra work. On the large jobs you're getting more than 3x but the artist gets 1.5x."

You obviusly have never been a business owner...Have you ever taken into account the time taken to set up a successful business???
It takes years upon years of blood, sweat, tears and some happy moments also mixed in...I'm sure everyone would agree that getting work is the hardest thing, that being said...on a $150 job you are worried that we are making a "HUGE" amount more than the artist. This is NOT true...Consider the following...
- The costs of Advertising are huge
- Renting a location to do business from
- Phone Bills
- Hosting and maintaing a website
- Updating a website
- Paying Employees
- Software
- TAXES
- Did I say ADVERTISING
- and many more...

We are not here to thake advantage of anyone, we are simply looking for some "Talented" artists who enjoy working from home...
We value and appreciate Artists, because first off, we are Artists ourselves!
You have to understand that the costs of starting a business from scratch, maintaining it and making it grow is NO easy task, and it's not for everyone! This is Business 101...

NancyJ 11-01-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emy
You obviusly have never been a business owner...Have you ever taken into account the time taken to set up a successful business???
It takes years upon years of blood, sweat, tears and some happy moments also mixed in...I'm sure everyone would agree that getting work is the hardest thing, that being said...on a $150 job you are worried that we are making a "HUGE" amount more than the artist. This is NOT true...Consider the following...
- The costs of Advertising are huge
- Renting a location to do business from
- Phone Bills
- Hosting and maintaing a website
- Updating a website
- Paying Employees
- Software
- TAXES
- Did I say ADVERTISING
- and many more...

We are not here to thake advantage of anyone, we are simply looking for some "Talented" artists who enjoy working from home...
We value and appreciate Artists, because first off, we are Artists ourselves!
You have to understand that the costs of starting a business from scratch, maintaining it and making it grow is NO easy task, and it's not for everyone! This is Business 101...

I AM a business owner, as are both my parents.

The only one of those expenses that increase with the price of the job is tax - and that is a proportionate to the increase in price.

Looking at the examples of your website I'd say there is plenty of evidence that the jobs are rushed and mediocre to make larger profits. Theres nothing wrong with looking for truely talented creative people - the likes of which there are plenty here, to increase the quality of service you can provide but you should be prepared to pay them accordingly.

Emy 11-01-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyJ
I AM a business owner, as are both my parents.

The only one of those expenses that increase with the price of the job is tax - and that is a proportionate to the increase in price.

Looking at the examples of your website I'd say there is plenty of evidence that the jobs are rushed and mediocre to make larger profits. Theres nothing wrong with looking for truely talented creative people - the likes of which there are plenty here, to increase the quality of service you can provide but you should be prepared to pay them accordingly.

Sounds like you may be a great talented Artist, on top of being a "business owner" It's very easy to critique something, however I don't see any links to your work, so your words have no weight...

It's a VERY Ignorant thing to say that Advertising Doesn't cut into things
If it costs $10 to get a client through advertising, whether it is through televsion, newspaper etc... IT CUTS INTO THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

Who knows, maybe you will be one of our TOP artists, and you would get more than $50 per photo, you could be the one that changes everything, but you need some Work to back it up...SO can we see some work...If you read our Original Ad closely it states "Compensation based on experience." therefore the $20-$50 is just a starting point. Again, where is the work???

Thank you for all the responses from the Artists on this board!!!
We have received many emails and we will respond to everyone.
Again Thank You... Some Very talented people here!

NancyJ 11-01-2005 01:42 PM

I never said that advertising doesnt cut into profits - but it costs $10 to get a client it costs $10 not $10 to get a $50 client and $30 to get a $150 client.

I dont post links to my work specifically because I'm a very busy woman, I want to control exactly when and how much work I bring in so I dont take on more than I can manage and disappoint clients. Although its not difficult to search for my posts to find some examples of my work - though most of my portfolio is kept private.

Photo678 11-01-2005 05:05 PM

Nancy....its the equivalent of being a retoucher in a retouching house.....the agency charges a fee, the person who does the retouching doesn't see all of that money. Some goes towards salary, some to rent, some to this some to that.

In essence emy is securing the jobs, filtering them down to the "workers" and cutting checks for the people. The retouchers are not supplying prints, are not doing their own leg work, are not doing any advertising, and IMHO $25-$50 per picture is a good rate for this type of stuff.

Kind of like working in a restaurant if you will. Chef cooks a lobster...the diner pays $30 for that meal...does the chef get all of it? NO...the waiter gets some, the rest. gets some, the dishwashers get some, etc etc.

It is basics of business

smiley guy 11-01-2005 07:04 PM

I don't know a lot about what goes on in this business generally but this doesn't sound criminal or totally unfair. It sounds kind of normal really.

In my other life I play trombone for orchestras as a freelancer. When I play a concert I don't see an equal portion of the ticket price for my performance. Some of that money goes to renting the hall, paying for ushers, advertising, conductors fees, principals fees, then somewhere down the line comes my fee.

As far as rate per photo? I don't know what competitive rates are but to draw another parallel to the orchestral world: I get paid per service/rehearsal/concert what have you. Generally each orchestra has a per service rate that is the same for rehearsals or concerts. Well, last week I played a big show, two hours long, hard music, lots of rehearsals, tired chops by the end of the night. This week? One 15 minute piece in the whole program! Same money, easier music, more time at home, chops not tired.

I don't know. Sounds pretty similar. In fact, you could probably substitute "photo r&r" in there for all the music.

Cheers

NancyJ 11-01-2005 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo678
Nancy....its the equivalent of being a retoucher in a retouching house.....the agency charges a fee, the person who does the retouching doesn't see all of that money. Some goes towards salary, some to rent, some to this some to that.

In essence emy is securing the jobs, filtering them down to the "workers" and cutting checks for the people. The retouchers are not supplying prints, are not doing their own leg work, are not doing any advertising, and IMHO $25-$50 per picture is a good rate for this type of stuff.

Kind of like working in a restaurant if you will. Chef cooks a lobster...the diner pays $30 for that meal...does the chef get all of it? NO...the waiter gets some, the rest. gets some, the dishwashers get some, etc etc.

It is basics of business

Working in house for an agency they provide the hardware, software, pay the electricity bills and give you a guarenteed salary. Working freelance as a contractor you have no guarenteed salary and working from home means you have to cover your own bills as well as hardware and software.

If they were providing the software, hardware and paying the electricity bills then it would be a good deal but they're only concerned with their expenses and have no consideration for the expenses of their would be contractors.

In IT, a company can expect to pay around 4x more for a contracter than for salaried employee. The contractor gets around 50% of the fee and the rest goes to the agency.

Look at it from a consumer point of view - if you're paying $149 for a service you want to get your moneys worth, you're paying top dollar and you expect top quality work.
What you're actually getting is $50 worth. If the contractor wants to make a decent amount off it you're looking at probably an hours work - 90 minutes top.

Whereas if you'd gone direct you could have got 3 - 5 hours of top quality retouching for the same price.