RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Photo Art Market

Old 03-02-2006, 12:33 PM

Photo Art Market

I posted this before but no response so will try one more time.

Need to know if there are markets for photo art. Have some images I would like to submit along with regular photos. Any company that buys photos might also buy photo art, but don't want to turn any off by submitting art if not wanted.

All suggestions appreciated.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM

steve,

cant help much here, but it's an area i'm interested in also. seems to be some sort of secret as to how to get 'published'. galleries are the traditional method, of course, but i'd rather talk to an art distributor/seller than a gallery owner. galleries seem to be the high end, somewhat esoteric end of the market, and somewhat short-lived at that.

i do know that if you want into any hobby/craft center, you'll find 'art' for sale, often more that it's something that comes with the frame they want you to buy, but nonetheless, there is art. i also know you can do the same in a number of department stores, even wal mart. but, who is selling to them? that's who i want to talk to.

framing shops will have a bit of art as well, but again, they are mostly into the frames.

so, who's the big art distributor(s)?

every once in a while i'll also see an ad on tv for 'starving artist' sales. these are usually weekend type convention center type sales and rather stock style type art; what i tend to call 'assembly line' art. but again, who's distributing this stuff and who do you contact?

i've also seen on retouchpro, links to 'self merchandising' type sites, where you post a piece of art, they give you web space, and folks can order from the web site things like mugs, t-shirts, and so on with your art on the item. but i dont think that's what you're talking about either.

kind of funny that the music industry seems to have well known publishers. the movie industry the same, and the book industry as well, but where do you go to publish your art?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM

Craig, you're in the same pickle I am in. I have a photo market book. This lists a lot of photo buyers, which accept email photo submissions. None of them mention anything about photo art submissions.

After dealing with some of these folks in the past, I know that if you submit a lot of stuff they are not interested in they will just trash the whole lot. So I am trying to avoid that and get stuff to people who are interested in a particular item. This time I want to submit photo art.

If you come across anything interesting, please let me know.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
steve,

cant help much here, but it's an area i'm interested in also. seems to be some sort of secret as to how to get 'published'. galleries are the traditional method, of course, but i'd rather talk to an art distributor/seller than a gallery owner. galleries seem to be the high end, somewhat esoteric end of the market, and somewhat short-lived at that.

i do know that if you want into any hobby/craft center, you'll find 'art' for sale, often more that it's something that comes with the frame they want you to buy, but nonetheless, there is art. i also know you can do the same in a number of department stores, even wal mart. but, who is selling to them? that's who i want to talk to.

framing shops will have a bit of art as well, but again, they are mostly into the frames.

so, who's the big art distributor(s)?

every once in a while i'll also see an ad on tv for 'starving artist' sales. these are usually weekend type convention center type sales and rather stock style type art; what i tend to call 'assembly line' art. but again, who's distributing this stuff and who do you contact?

i've also seen on retouchpro, links to 'self merchandising' type sites, where you post a piece of art, they give you web space, and folks can order from the web site things like mugs, t-shirts, and so on with your art on the item. but i dont think that's what you're talking about either.

kind of funny that the music industry seems to have well known publishers. the movie industry the same, and the book industry as well, but where do you go to publish your art?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 03:25 PM

Steve:

You might want to check out the following Yahoo groups. I've found them to be a wealth of info regarding the types of questions you're asking and, best of all, many who contribute/offer advice actually DO make $$ from their art.

Note: Neither are limited to art created from photos; much of the advice / info is applicable regardless of art style or media on which it's presented.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artshow_photo/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sellin...ngYourArtWork/

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 09:14 PM

I'm a member of Art.com; there are many, many artists who sell their work for reproduction there. It is very easy to get your work accepted - you can submit 16 pieces for portfolio display and sell posters made from them through the site for free, and for $50 annual dues you can submit a total of 96 images for poster resale. You can also sell fine art reproductions of your pieces for a set-up fee per image. I don't know how successful this is a venture, since I am just submitting my portfolio there. The royalty per sale is small, but I figure it's worth a shot, time will tell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2006, 02:50 PM

Good info Danny.

I'm certainly not trying to make my living at this. I do this as a way to relax and doing it specifically to market would take all the fun out of it.

Would however, like to get a feel from those who buy, if it's worthwhile doing submissions on occasion.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Steve:

You might want to check out the following Yahoo groups. I've found them to be a wealth of info regarding the types of questions you're asking and, best of all, many who contribute/offer advice actually DO make $$ from their art.

Note: Neither are limited to art created from photos; much of the advice / info is applicable regardless of art style or media on which it's presented.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artshow_photo/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sellin...ngYourArtWork/

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds