RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

[RANT] Read the post date!!

Old 04-01-2006, 11:19 AM

[RANT] Read the post date!!

Please excuse the rant but I'm sick of seeing the same old (sometimes over 12 months old) posts over and over again bumped up by spammers who dont read the post date of the original message. A job advert this old is unlikely to get a response.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 02:07 PM

I could not agree more......
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 07:18 PM

To be sure

Couldn't agree more with what has been said already.

My concern is, are we not seeing who has posted previously & asking ourselves if we see a pattern emerging.

I ain't Sherlock but I know where my Holmes is....

keep it un-scene if you know what I mean
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 07:41 PM

I made that mistake to last week
Please don't hit me! I won't do it again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Hi Nancy,

I am a total noob here, been reading for about a month or so, but couldn't agree more.

I am going to make a suggestion here although having been a moderator on other forums, I realize that it is just basically asking for more work by the moderators, who are largely unappreciated for their hard work anyways.

The suggestion is this: Just lock em. Any request for quote over a few weeks old is worthless most likely. Lock the thread and let them sink. If someone has a really important piece of work that has not been addressed, I am sure they will repost.

My 2 cents anyway. Thanks to you all. I am learning a great deal and may even venture into the challenges soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 10:26 PM

With reference to job ads, couldn't you stipulate that as part of the requirement, the OP must come back and post a 'job filled' post or delete the thread, or update it weekly if it is still available or risk deletion or something?

I agee with you though. I do find myself posting on threads (not job required though) that have been bumped up by a new post ages later, and assume it is recent because its on the front page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 AM

jobs

Also most jobs require you to actually email the person or send a PM rather than just replying to a post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesF
....The suggestion is this: Just lock em. Any request for quote over a few weeks old is worthless most likely. Lock the thread and let them sink...
I don't remember Doug actually saying so, but as I understand it general policy is not to lock old threads, because there is an awful lot of good stuff that is really worth seeing again.
Locking gets reserved for threads that start turning sour .

These old classifieds have been irritating me too (as have the old poll threads).
I do not have super-mod-powers in this part of the site but there is something that ALL members can do to help....

In the upper right corner of all posts there is a little red "warning" triangle. If you find a post worth ranting about then just click there and add a small explanation. The forum mod and Doug get notified and the trouble can get cleared up pretty quick.

PS Welcome to RetouchPRO, JamesF.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 AM

I always wondered where the 'report post' button went. Its not very obvious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Not for nothing, but I've been dissappointed by the quality of available jobs in these forums. I spent time communicating with a job poster and sent samples. They led me to believe that they were going to hire not just my retouching services but even my photography. Then they drop the bomb that they only wanted to pay less than $5.00 an image. We had corresponded earlier about a monetary range and they did not object at the time.

What a waste of time.

Allow me to continue my rant: What's going on in the creative industry overall? Criagslist and other forums are filled with people expecting you to work for free! I searched "retoucher" on Monster and CareerBuilder and found only about 6 jobs accross the whole country!!! And those that posted a salary were only offering at most $11.00/hour! I have over 14 years experience and the so-called "high-end" studios who have requested my resume have not contacted me. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are only looking for entry-level people.

Anyway, in answer to my own frustrations, I have decided to go out on my own again rather than look for a salaried position. Keep an eye out for my new website.

Last edited by emarts; 04-04-2006 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds