RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Two Retouching jobs in NYC

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM

Re: Two Retouching jobs in NYC

I'm curious about the salary levels. They do seem very low. In the NYC and the immediate surrounding area, a good typist makes more than what they're offering for the Junior retoucher.

Are these 'entry level' Junior/Senior positions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrey View Post
I'm curious about the salary levels. They do seem very low. In the NYC and the immediate surrounding area, a good typist makes more than what they're offering for the Junior retoucher.

Thanks
I feel the same. I'm just getting by with that salary range out here in L.A. I can't imagine how those junior retouchers manage with that in NYC without living with their parents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM

i haven't checked out impacts site in a while, in their special effects section of their portfolio, they have this really great spread with michael jordan, with all these tribal looking symbols, that look almost tattooed on his body.

it flows really well with the contour, and lighting as well. That's an interesting job to me. Prob a lot of displacement maps i would assume, among other masking and overlay techniques. Kind of like what chris was mentioning about following contour in the pascal makeup post.

just looks like a cool project. maybe 'cause i'm somewhat of a tat freak myself!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrey View Post

Thanks
i hear ya about the salary, my wifes friend is secretary for a head surgeon at a hospital in Chicago and her salary is 70K a year...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
i haven't checked out impacts site in a while, in their special effects section of their portfolio, they have this really great spread with michael jordan, with all these tribal looking symbols, that look almost tattooed on his body.

it flows really well with the contour, and lighting as well. That's an interesting job to me. Prob a lot of displacement maps i would assume, among other masking and overlay techniques. Kind of like what chris was mentioning about following contour in the pascal makeup post.

just looks like a cool project. maybe 'cause i'm somewhat of a tat freak myself!
This project was written about in PDN a year or two ago. I can't find it online. They detail the process well. I have no energy to attack the stack over in the corner.

edit: Found it. The May, 2006 issue. The retouchers name is Brent Adams, and the software used was Autodesk 3D Studio Max.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 09-12-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Wow I thought it seemed pretty great for a junior retoucher.....but then again in my area a 2 bedroom 1100 sq. foot apartment is $450 a month and they top out at about 800 a month with granite countertops and all frills

Just wondering what is the monthly cost of living in NYC without living in a shanty? I know its very expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 AM

One bedroom, 455 sq ft, east village of manhattan - $2266
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 AM

My flat in London - £1100 a month plus 150 c.tax. Thats $2,536 - and thats cheap. You guys have it easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNGhcdtMbc

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM

There's nothing decent (non rent-controlled) in Manhattan under about 1800 or so for a one-bedroom. Outside of Manhattan, the prices drop (tho I can't imagine leaving Manhattan, even considering the 'lower rent/more space' argument.)

And those salaries are for pretty comparable, from what I've seen at other NY agencies, for entry level-ers. I'm sure their more experienced retouchers earn more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
455 sq ft, east village of manhattan - $2266
Quote:
My flat in London - £1100 a month plus 150 c.tax. Thats $2,536 - and thats cheap. You guys have it easy.
WOW thats crazy, ... around here for $2000 a month you can pretty much have your own a castle

Heres what u get for $2000 in my city....then again there isn't any 100k a year retouching jobs either lol.
http://homes.realtor.com/search/list...rcnt=60#Detail

Last edited by AdamZx3; 09-12-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds