Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Two Retouching jobs in NYC

Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Re: Two Retouching jobs in NYC

To those of you who are high end professional retouchers, I was wondering how much personal vision and creativity are you allowed for each project? Must you succumb to the agency, editor, photographer or client? Must you you follow a standard or can you be the creator of a new standard? I'm sure a lot has to do with the experience and political network you have established over time. Is this a young man's game especially in the new age of digital? And I'm sure you deal with a lot of incompetent individuals who have the final say. Just wondering what it is like on the other side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Generally your job is to do what they ask. they are paying for your time. Any photographer I've met has their own thing, they want to be in charge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:20 PM

You bring your own expertise and talent, and that of the shop you work for and then make additional edits as per the client or art director. You don't wait to be told every little detail. There will be an initial brief, you make the noted adjustments and then work the file until it's right to you. In rounds that follow, you make adjustments based on comments from the client and those needed as they arrive. Often one change may necessitate many others discussed or not.

Having said that, I have done creative retouching for clients at my own discretion. In those cases, I was contracted specifically for what I thought would 'look cool' for the client. For instance
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds