RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

New Freelance Retoucher

Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Re: New Freelance Retoucher

it was in Elgin, IL..i knew ahead of time that was the policy but i was curious to see if things had changed...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM

Gotcha. I have a good friend who works there. I have met and talked to a lot of great old-school, commercial, pro-retouchers since I've been in the industry and pretty much all of them said that all colorhouses have the same policy regarding overtime. Especially the L.A. area. I think it's just the nature of the beast since a lot of Design Agencies (including my former Design agency employer) tend to give their files at the end of the day (especially Friday evenings) and they expect a quick turn around time. This is an industry where if you don't like overtime, you won't fit in. Smaller shops may have a different policy since they can not afford to pay overtime to their operators.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM

do u reckon it would work better if the hours were differnt, like a later start and later finish for those late file transfers? or staggered hours for differnt people? or is there so much work you just need to work like a mad nut all day
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM

Some shops have different shifts. When I worked in LA, we had 3 shifts and I worked the second shift from 2pm till midnite sometimes till 2am - 4 am in the morning depending on the workload. In Seattle, we had 1st and second shifts. Where I am currently (SF area) it's first shift for me 8am until whenever the projects get done. Overtime for me is usually 10-12 hours (depending on the workload). Right now (month of December) we are actually slow so we don't have overtime work (typical for this client) but will be busy again starting in mid January. If you get your foot in the door with a color service house, make sure ahead of time that you are comfortable with their hours. Remember, you are at the mercy of shop's client. Ask a lot of questions regarding hours, pay, work/life balance, part-time work, flex-work, telecommuting, etc. It really depends on the shop and their clients. I know 1 high-end pre-press shop in San Francisco where the employees don't work a lot of overtime due to the fact they belong in a union (pros and cons with union). It really depends on the person and what he/she is willing to sacrifice. I couldn't tell you right now if I can do 50 hrs/wk for the rest of my career. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. But at this point of my life, I'm perfectly fine by the hours. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
the other bad thing about big companies is the mandatory overtime and the 6 day work weeks...
Yeah, but I'm of a certain age where I'm starting to see the benefits of a pension and 401k. Ain't nothing like payroll deduction and compound interest mixed in with a little patience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Marcelo View Post
I couldn't tell you right now if I can do 50 hrs/wk for the rest of my career. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't. But at this point of my life, I'm perfectly fine by the hours. Hope this helps.
i don't mind the 50 work weeks at all, but during the interview i asked if i made up my hours during the week if it were possible not to work on saturday..i was told i would have to fill out a form and get it approved by a supervisor but it didn't matter anyway, the job requirements and the information in the ad were 2 completely different things so it ended up being a waste of time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2007, 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=pixelzombie;177061..i was told i would have to fill out a form and get it approved by a supervisor but it didn't matter anyway, the job requirements and the information in the ad were 2 completely different things so it ended up being a waste of time...[/QUOTE]

Sorry that it was a waste of your time. Like I said, different shops (including within the same company) have different policies regarding overtime/weekend work. All 3 places I've been at have different policies. The one common factor is that all my colleagues/co-workers have been great to work with. I've been lucky to work and learn from some of the very best pixel pushers and digital assemblers within my company. The graphic arts industry (especially the really big ones) is not for everyone. You will really need to love what you do, day in and day out. I hope that you are in a great place career-wise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds