RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

I need a Photoshop Genius to fix my mistake

Old 03-25-2008, 02:25 AM

I need a Photoshop Genius to fix my mistake

I've really messed up here and need some help. Here's my story:

I am a photo lab manager for a big box store. Today a customer came in with a ripped up photo and asked me to send it in to be restored. Our send off service requires a scan of the photo, not the original. So to put the photo together to scan, i planned to use splicing tape to hold it together while I tape the back of the photo. I've done this many times, as the splicing tape generally isn't sticky enough to harm photos.

Well, today, it did. when I went to remove the tape, it started pulling the picture off! If you look at the attached file, you'll see the extent of the damage. I cannot remove the piece of tape on it, as it will effectively remove his face.

Now, this picture is the only one that this estranged father of the pictured girl that he has. He was very kind when I admitted what a terrible mistake I have made, but I promised to do whatever I can to make this right, at my own expense.

What I am asking for here, is for help repairing this photo as well as it can be. If you can do it or know who can, please let me know. I have used photoshop, but I can't do much beyond the clone brush. I have seen some real magic out there, so if it is possible, I must have it done.

If you can do it, please contact me here, or email technicolorguru@gmail.com with your requirements. I can provide you with a scan of whatever resolution you need, but I hate to let the original leave my possession if I can help it. I wish I could say that price is no object, and I will try to meet your needs, but I'm not a rich man. So please go easy on me.

Thank you for your time.

Link to 40 MB 600 DPI scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (81.8 KB, 179 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Patron

Re: I need a Photoshop Genius to fix my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan View Post
Here's my story:
Today a customer came in with a ripped up photo and asked me to send it in to be restored. Our send off service requires a scan of the photo, not the original. So to put the photo together to scan, i planned to use splicing tape to hold it together while I tape the back of the photo. I've done this many times, as the splicing tape generally isn't sticky enough to harm photos.

when I went to remove the tape, it started pulling the picture off! If you look at the attached file, you'll see the extent of the damage. I cannot remove the piece of tape on it, as it will effectively remove his face.

What I am asking for here, is for help repairing this photo as well as it can be.

I can provide you with a scan of whatever resolution you need, but I hate to let the original leave my possession if I can help it.Thank you for your time.
Link to 40 MB 600 DPI scan.
This may sound like a silly question BUT... What is wrong with the "Send Off Service" you normally use? You have already scanned it... "Link to 40 MB 600 DPI scan" then why don't you just send in the scan as originally planned?

Am I missing something here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 AM

Hi Jonathan.

I have sent you an email with a reply.

I can most probably do this for you.

I am a retoucher with 15 years experience in pro-photo labs and ad agencies in London. I will take a look at the hi-res.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM

I guess this proves the old saying

Never Work on the Original

The fact that this customer is paying for a repaired copy should mean that he will not be too annoyed about the original.

Why not just order another repaired copy from your restorers and give it to him free of charge?

Ken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_wedding.jpg (98.2 KB, 121 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM

I would be happy to fix your image for you...

I have sent you a PM...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM

In all honesty, I do not trust the restorers that we use. They mainly just remove cracks and adjust colors on photos, and I've even seen shoddy work on that. I'm needing a miracle here, and I just don't think they can do it.

Thank you for the replies. More are welcome. I'm weighing my options right now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken View Post
I guess this proves the old saying

Never Work on the Original
I've definately learned my lesson here. Being in a digital lab has spoiled me. Generally, if I were to ruin a photo, I'd just print another. I only wish it were possible with this one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM

I can fix it for you --Please check PM

--Paula
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Jonathan,

You've had several offers of help. If you have not assigned the work to someone, you should consider letting me take care of it for you. Check my "FREE" introductory offer at www.digitalcachet.com.

Regards,

Greg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds