RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Retoucher required for overflow work

Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 AM

Re: Retoucher required for overflow work

I am only speaking for myself in what follows.
For me, what I have read (mostly on the web, I have some books coming in) addresses blemishes and corrections by using a blurred layer, along with a masked layer. Brushing in the blur on the mask for areas needing attention. Therefore I really don't know any other way.
I am always looking to expand my knowledge and take chances, you have to take risks and chances to get anywhere in this world. You gave me that chance, as a professional re-toucher and retouching business owner that any other professional/owner probably wouldn't have even considered, given my experience. And for that I thank you.
Now I know that right now my skills are hopeless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM

Wow! Is that right? Books telling you to do it that way? I have never read a book on retouching. All I have ever tried to do, is replicate what I done in the old days of conventional retouching (no computers).
I know it is hard to break into this business now days, but like most things, practice and pushing yourself, try to find your own style of working.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 AM

No, I have books coming in. What I have read is on the web. Maybe I should have been more precise. The books are not specific to retouching, more of Photoshop. If I don't learn any other way, then I have nothing but to continue to blur and heal.
Hope you don't get offended by this next comment, but I don't have "the old days" doing this without a computer. So everything I'm learning is on a computer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
As one of my old bosses back in the eighties would have said (whilst clutching his head)... "Sometimes, I just despair"

Jeff
Don´t despair
By my experience, the photographic retouch, it is one very influenced by the tastes, way of working and ideas of the person for that you are working for.

Besides the basic things like not blur the photo and so on which is a matter of skills. There are times that you do not obtain at first exactly the taste and result that the client really wants. Then you do the corrections. Next time the result will be much closer to the tastes of the client. It’s just an opinion.

For sure you will find a good one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM

OK guys,, thats it. Thank - you all very much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 AM

Well then tell use how not to do it with out the cloning and blurring. We all want to know. -W
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 AM

If you read the comments of established retouchers doing VERY nice work you will see the comments over and over: Don't blur. Don't use the healing tool. They aren't being snobs, they're telling you what you're doing wrong. I don't care what a book or training DVD says as anyone can write a book saying anything they want. There was something that I've seen a lot of people do and I could never figure out why they did it that way... then one day I saw a particular video from Katrin Eismann where she said to do it and it clicked... monkey see, monkey do, no questions asked. Real skin doesn't look blurred. PERIOD. Go out and look at magazines with multi-page fashion advertisements, not low-res images on the web retouched by anyone that can get ahold of Photoshop through whatever means possible. Does the skin look blurred in those magazines? To think that anyone submitted blurred skin to Jeff... well it shows a lack of attention to detail IMO because I'm sure he's said "don't blur" himself in previous posts on these forums. All you have to do is click on his name to find his posts if his name doesn't ring a bell for you.

If you want to do GOOD retouching, it's up to you to figure out how to do it without blurring. Dodging and burning techniques are the only techniques that I know of but I'm neither a respected nor established retoucher. I never did things the old way but I know blurred skin when I see it and it does nothing but make someone look like they're made of plastic or some material other than skin... even if you add noise on top of the blur it still looks blurred. I think I've seen one or two people in these forums post something that was blurred and didn't look wrong. 1, maybe 2. Ever.

Certain comments/critiques from certain members of these forums are often greeted with a 'how dare you' type of attitude. They're just being honest and don't care that you spent 3 hours on something that still looks wrong because there's no point in spending ANY time on anything if you're not going to do it right. Most of the retouched images posted in these forums are crap*. I don't say that because I can do better I say that because I can tell when something doesn't look like human skin. I'm not one to single out any one person and tell them they suck... unless I could tell them how to do it better. I wish I could but I can't. I practice on probably half or more of the images posted in the 'image help' and retouching forums as time permits... and show almost none of them because I'm not happy with what I've been able to do. Not because I'm afraid of harsh comments but because it's an image I wouldn't want associated with my name.

*= It's not that I think people shouldn't post crap images in an effort to learn how to do things better... that is what most of us are here for I think... but if you can't see that most of them are crap or don't look real...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:53 AM

WoW! I think you have hit the nail on the head there! Next time I am at the Mopar Nationals, at Columbus... Remind me to buy you a beer.

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Videosean, I can only put my signature under your post, I agree totaly with everything you sad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 AM

Thumbs up Re: Retoucher required for overflow work

Why do I go to Columbus? Here is one of my toys....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodge.jpg (96.2 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds