RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Classifieds Post job openings, your resume, or try to sell/buy retouching/restoration related items

Retouching tests for best photographers

Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Re: Retouching tests for best photographers

Iconogenic,

You have a very nice portfolio already. I wonder how your new portfolio is going to turn out.

Sorry for derailing your post, but this is for Toan. Toan, how did you mange to use your stock retouching on your website? The reason I ask is because I do mostly beauty stock retouching. Not that I want to use what I'm currently working in my portfolio due to the time constraint I have for the retouching. All of the images I work on are taken by either the Phase One p25 or p30 with good lighting, so they all have great potential to be turned into something awesome. They used to didn't care if I retouched an image a day, but now they want at least 4 a day. I'm basically destroying these images now, but whatever keeps me working and keeps this guy (art director) happy. I just want to rework on some of them for my own use, but I've granted zero right. I wonder how you did it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Hi pixel_monkey. At first, I was gonna use the stock images I have retouched from the past but after looking around, I realized these images weren't looking close to "high-end" in term of retouching nor had anything to do with fashion photography. So I didn't use them (btw, my stock photographer boss wouldn't mind if I posted them online). Those images currently on my site are from fashion photographers I've collaborated with recently
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan thai View Post
(btw, my stock photographer boss wouldn't mind if I posted them online).
You're lucky. I had to sign a piece of paper for the job. I'll get fired or even get sued if I put them online. That's why I don't have anything in my signature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 AM

pixel_monkey, thank you.
4 images a day from phase one, is a shame for an image Although depends on image. If it's only coloring, maybe you can. Beauty would be a shame.

Yes, seems like the way to make a good online portfolio is testing with talents you like, especially if you want to put the "before" versions too. You guys retouch stock for Corbis and Getty photographers? I only retouch my own stock, which is micro (basically all stuff on my website). Only for retouching case studies I like to have larger resolutions and better images + many good names as a client base.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 AM

pixel_monkey. 4 images a day is a lot even with editorial/fashion. Beauty retouch...forget about it haha. I have turned down couple of beauty and cover jobs because of impossible deadline. I have a full time job so doing high end retouching can only be done after my work day and weekends. I have no life in the last 4 months It's so worth it though!

Like Iconogenice said, test with photographers that you like. You don't have to go the the big names; try new and up coming fashion photographers. A lot of them don't have the budget but their work are great. Do whole bunch of beauty retouch. BTW, thanks for helping me out with the FTP user accounts. It's very convenient for photographers to upload stuff...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Iconogenic - Nice portfolio and if you're requirements were a bit different I have some stuff you can use.

I'm currently working with a few retouchers from deviant.

I normally give them:

10MP RAW file
Lifestyle/fashion shots.

My work is kind of geared towards the market demand and since most rags that come out hardly have the printing res to make even 10MP show it's true potential we just do 10MP for now.

I was never a big into technical numbers (and especially the MP craziness) and focused more on the quality of the product.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
Send me a PM if you are interested.
I just did
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconogenic View Post
pixel_monkey, thank you.
4 images a day from phase one, is a shame for an image Although depends on image. If it's only coloring, maybe you can. Beauty would be a shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toan thai
pixel_monkey. 4 images a day is a lot even with editorial/fashion. Beauty retouch...forget about it haha.
The sad thing is that I don't think they can tell the difference between beauty retouching and Sears portraits. I actually got some "expert" retouching advice from my manager that I could speed things up by using the clone tool at low opacity...this is coming from a guy sitting in his office all day watching videos on youtube. I still manage to throw in a pass of D+B in there somehow. It's not up to me to decide. I just keep up with the quota, so they'll leave me alone. I feel like a trained monkey could do my job. Hence, my username...haha.

toan, I'm glad it works out. Do you notice that you get 50 ftp accounts now?

Iconogenic, I don't retouch for neither Corbis nor Getty Photographers, just one of their competitors. I don't think Getty is doing too good these days. Last time I heard, they got acquired by a private firm.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconogenic View Post
Will do free retouching tests for excellent digital photographers and for retouching houses.

- high fashion, beauty, commercial, and celebrity images only; professional stuff from published photographers only plz, even if it is free work
- accept RAW files from minimum 16MP
- rights to put before&after on my website, directly; only "after" is fine when a celebrity

I want to really rebuild my portfolio, remove my own work and replace it with work from industry clients. With a coming maternity leave, I'm moving more from photography towards retouching. I already emailed a couple of photographers I admire, but they are either all on vacation together with their secretaries, or I'm being too impatient

Hope to find great talents for collaboration. If anyone has advice about strategies how to get to the best clients out there, with just test work first, will be appreciated.

Regards,

http://www.iconogenic.com/retouch.htm (email link on page)
Very fine work, especially the "makeup ad" skin smoothing/pores look. I have dabbled with skin, but can't seem to get those results like you did. It takes awhile. Are you self taught basically or did you get some good on the job training? But anyway, great work, I'm sure you will find something good very soon

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks, Steve! Self/ retouchpro taught I am Pores still drive me mad, especially in difficult lighting, but I'm practicing.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Classifieds