Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

How to create golf ball bump map for 3D modelling?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Okay, I actually did two maps. In the attachment is one of them overlayed onto the other. I even darkened the outer a tad for illustrative reasons.

The first map is just an isosceles triangle with a smaller triangle in the middle. Did them with the Polygon tool set to 3. With a little help from Guides, not too hard. Saved just the lines to be used as a temporary map.

However, I also used the lines as a guide for Radial gradients at the outer corners. Ran the gradient from the outer corners to the bisectors. Then Curves as previously shown. Then saved just the gradients out to be used as a map.

Once in Max, I created a geosphere. Opened up the UV editor, made sure the temporary line map was in the background of the UV dialog, and laid down all tris on the bigger triangle. In this way, whatever is in one triangle on the geosphere will be in all triangles on the geosphere. Kind of like face mapping, but with a twist because of isosceles triangles.

Once all UVs in place, swapped the line map for the gradient map.

I did try it as a bump, but it was poopy for some reason. So I went with displacement. Had I used a higher tri geosphere, I'm sure the displacement would have killed me - even with just regular lighting. Ug. Pros and cons and stuff.

I've seen a few Maya things and I'm fairly positive the same can be done if you've got the yarbles for it.

I'm not sure, but I think there is a lesson in there about thinking laterally . . . or maybe semi-laterally.

Well, I'm off to work on my new filter.
If I can just get past this file I/O and string thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gball02.jpg (11.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi, Stroker. The spherical mapping converter you pointed to in your post... it does the exact same thing as the one I have from Flaming Pear. It just distorts the image at the top and bottom to correct for pinching at the poles when mapped onto a sphere.

Also, I think I'm going to refer a friend to you Max site. He's still learning and gets really confused by the material editor. You had some good, easy to understand explanations in there that I think will help him. I do what I can over the phone (he's too far away to visit), but it's really slow going and difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
JustWakinUp... No problem. Glad we could help. Let us know how it turns out.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 PM
Im absolutely getting nowhere......*Frustration has set in
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images