RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Deforming textures in a 3d way

Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 AM

In this case, the two tools do essentially the same thing.

For PSP:
Get the pen tool and draw freehand around the area you want to select. When you're done, you can adjust the nodes or add/delete nodes or change the nodes (this is a large topic in itself). While you're editing the curve, make the vector layer 0% opacity--that lets you see your work, but the vector path and nodes are still visible (this is where the "path" term comes in.)

Once you have the vector the way you want it, make it visible again, choose the Pick tool (object selector in PSP9 or before), edit the object properties and make sure the stroke is invisible and the fill is solid and fully opaque.

Now you can go to the selections menu and choose "from vector object" and your selection appears.

The reason this is a popular selection method is if you want to change something slightly, you can always go back to your vector object and make some tweaks and re-generate the selection. It also makes nice smooth selections.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM

Kraellin, if you could get the 3D models I can sure help out with 3D Studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:53 PM

bart,

ok, that's what i thought...the pen tool. that's pretty cool. i always thought the raster selection method shld have a 'drag the line' option. this vector method is nearly that. and yes, i did edit some of the nodes to either asymetric or symetric. that works a wonder!

the trouble i had was getting it to select enough opacity after i converted it to raster, but i found i had 'textures' set in the materials palette. turning those off made it ok again

thanks for that! that could come in real handy. i tried doing the reverse process, just to see if psp was that smart yet. i made a selection with the magic wand and wanted to see if i could turn that selection into a vector selection with nodes. nope. that also could have been real handy!

and while we're on the subject of selections, here's one i've never seen you mention. it's a very fast way of tweaking a selection. i've seen you mention the 'modify/select color range', but not this one. this one is similar, but faster and even offers a bit more tweaking ability. in psp 10 (not sure about 9), you make your selection and then hold the shift key down and click to add to it or the control key and click to subtract from it. the add and subtract are based on your 'match mode' and 'tolerance'.

so, you could make your initial magic wand selection based on 'brightness', but then use the add and subtract based on color and with a different tolerance. this allows you to add and subtract on a very fast basis using different match modes and tolerances. and you can use 'use all layers' or not, 'continuous' or not, 'anti-alias' or not and all the other tweaking features of the magic wand.

this ONLY works with the magic wand selection tool and not the normal object selection tool or the frrehand selection tool.

ok, i'm definitely going to have to play around more with the vector stuff. i love being able to edit the selections by nodes. i also found i could 'break' the vector path and add more nodes and that by simply placing one node over another, they would join. again, quite handy!

so, thanks

and patrick,

this isnt my thread. i'm not the one playing with the shoes. ainurelfking is the guy that has the shoes. but yes, studio 3d max was what i was thinking of, and glad someone here is familiar with it!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin

thanks for that! that could come in real handy. i tried doing the reverse process, just to see if psp was that smart yet. i made a selection with the magic wand and wanted to see if i could turn that selection into a vector selection with nodes. nope. that also could have been real handy!
craig
This is one area where Photoshop is pretty good--you can move very quickly from path to selection to mask to alpha channel and back again.

Quote:
and while we're on the subject of selections, here's one i've never seen you mention. it's a very fast way of tweaking a selection. i've seen you mention the 'modify/select color range', but not this one. this one is similar, but faster and even offers a bit more tweaking ability. in psp 10 (not sure about 9), you make your selection and then hold the shift key down and click to add to it or the control key and click to subtract from it. the add and subtract are based on your 'match mode' and 'tolerance'.

so, you could make your initial magic wand selection based on 'brightness', but then use the add and subtract based on color and with a different tolerance. this allows you to add and subtract on a very fast basis using different match modes and tolerances. and you can use 'use all layers' or not, 'continuous' or not, 'anti-alias' or not and all the other tweaking features of the magic wand.

this ONLY works with the magic wand selection tool and not the normal object selection tool or the frrehand selection tool.
I don't use the magic wand very often because of the way it selects things--it either selects a pixel or it doesn't. Usually, I want the opacity of a selection to vary continuously according to how well the pixel matches some criteria. That's where the add/subtract color range tool comes in.

With photoshop I do use the magic wand slightly more often because I can convert the selection into a vector path.

Quote:

ok, i'm definitely going to have to play around more with the vector stuff. i love being able to edit the selections by nodes. i also found i could 'break' the vector path and add more nodes and that by simply placing one node over another, they would join. again, quite handy!

so, thanks

craig
It's cool stuff! You're welcome!

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
This is one area where Photoshop is pretty good--you can move very quickly from path to selection to mask to alpha channel and back again.
that would be extremely handy. one of these days i'll make the move to ps, but i'll probably never completely give up psp. the digital camera noise removal alone is something some would sell for the same price as psp itself.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
that would be extremely handy. one of these days i'll make the move to ps, but i'll probably never completely give up psp. the digital camera noise removal alone is something some would sell for the same price as psp itself.

craig
I originally used Photoshop 4.0 eons ago, but then PSP v8 came out it had many features not found in Photoshop both advanced and autofix stuff. I missed the thumbnails in the layer palette, but them's the breaks and they finally put that feature in for PSPX. But now as the images I edit have grown in size (often more than 10mpixel panoramas), PSPX bogs way down whereas even my old Photoshop 4.0 just chugs happily away even on 100Mpixel giants. I looked at elements, but it's considerably different than either PSP or PS in my opinion--and it's too crippled for me. So I just upgraded for $150 to the real deal. The transition was completely painless--PS also has a wonderful hardcopy manual. PSP and PS are conceptually very similar in most ways.

Bart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images