RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Deforming textures in a 3d way

Old 03-20-2006, 06:01 AM

Lightbulb Deforming textures in a 3d way

Hey, is there a way (probably a pluging) to deform a 2d picture in a 3d mesh or controlled shape? I work with virtual shoes, so I need to scan fabrics and apply them to shoes, but I want to deform the fabrics to make them look more realistic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Patron

3d Textures

Well plug ins and other methods are out there. You can also make your own. This was made with photoshop. I made a new image in photoshop. I used the default b&w colors. I used the gradient tool with difference blending mode to create the curtain. I warped the curtain. I then used the texturizer to make a texture. I could have used HSL to color it.

The photoshop distort/displace filter is a good one to learn if you want to apply a 3d effect also.
The Filter/Render/Lighting effects works well too. Place a texture in the alpha channel and select that with the filter can give interesting 3d effects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texture.jpg (26.2 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM

In the liquify filter there is an option where you can actually view the mesh. It takes some getting used to but it can really help when warping fabric around a 3d object.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2006, 08:18 AM

Hi Ainurelfking.
Welcome to RetouchPro

You may have had the best solution from Edgework (Over There)
However I had a go with the Liquify tool.
I am using PS7
Down at the bottom right hand corner of the liquify tool is Backdrop Box. With this checked the shoe layer can be loaded as a backdrop so that the warping can be better seen.
The other nice feature is that the finished Mesh can be saved so if a lot of the shoes are at the same angle then the mesh can be loaded back in.

My results are not perfect but possibly close enough
As Edgework said
"It doesn't have to be right, as long at it doesn't look obviously wrong."

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken_Shoe.jpg (97.8 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2006, 08:57 AM

ainurelfking,

welcome to RP.

wouldnt this be better done in a 3d program? my guess is that the tools there would be better suited to this. or is it that your virtual shoes are in 2d?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 AM

I agree. I think a 3d program is the way to go if you have 3d shoe models (which I'd think a shoe company would have.) I guess if you can export a depth map from the 3d program, then you could use that in the displacement filter.

Nevertheless, I was having fun using Ken's shoe post using liquify. If you're going to use Photoshop, the only thing I'd add is you want to be sure to save the liquify mesh after you warp your first fabric to a particular shoe so you can apply it to new fabrics without doing the warping all over again. Here are a few I did--I'm terrible at the warping part.

I only did one warp and then applied it to all of the fabrics. (I also fiddled with levels to adjust shininess.)

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plaid_matte.jpg (30.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg hatch_matte.jpg (29.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg hatch_shiny.jpg (30.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg flowers_shiny.jpg (37.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg plaid_shiny.jpg (31.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 AM

Nice work I've found photoshop hard when it comes to wrapping textures, but those shoes look very good
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM

that's pretty cool, bart. what did you use to trim your image?

for those working in psp, ver 9 or later, try the warp brush and warp mesh.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
that's pretty cool, bart. what did you use to trim your image?

for those working in psp, ver 9 or later, try the warp brush and warp mesh.

craig
Hi Craig,

I just drew a vector path and converted that path to a selection and created a mask from that. I brushed the mask around the laces at the end. The magnetic option (photoshop) is handy but not necessary.

The warp brush in PSP is functionally identical to liquify in Photoshop. Warp brush is actually nicer to use because it operates *in* the actual layered image like any other type of operation whereas liquify in PS is captured in a big dialog box.

The reason it looks good isn't because of the warping--it's because of the shoe shininess, texture, and shading. Once you get that right, it seems your eye is forgiving on the warp. If I didn't do that, my warping looks pretty awful. Ken's warping was much better.

I attached a little progression to show how the pieces go together. 1. Warp/liquify the fabric, 2. Apply luminance information from original image, 3. Create the mask, 4. Use the mask to add in the surrounding portion of the original image.

In step 1, save the warp/liquify preset so you can reuse it on other fabrics. From this, you can see just how basic the warping is with all of other visual cues removed.

Step 2 is essentially the same method I used to put a logo on the red ball with the water spritz (thread from several days ago.)

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoes.jpg (96.1 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2006, 10:14 AM

bart,

Quote:
I just drew a vector path and converted that path to a selection and created a mask from that.
ok, since you got PS i'm never sure if you're talking ps or psp. what did you use to draw a 'vector path'? did you actually make a vector layer and draw with something like the 'pen tool' or did you use the selection tool in freehand mode or something completely different?

and just because i wanted to see if you meant the vector pen tool, i tried this myself with that. i've not worked a lot in vector mode, but found this an interesting way to do a selection. the vector edits are quite interesting. i couldnt quite get a decent selection this way, but, like i say, i havent worked in vector much.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images