RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D RETOUCHING -- Maya, Cinema 4D, Modo. Lightwave

Old 09-23-2006, 04:30 PM

3D RETOUCHING -- Maya, Cinema 4D, Modo. Lightwave

Hi,

Does anyone use 3D programs to help them with creative or production retouching? I have been doing this for quite a few years and wondered if anyone else has made the attempt to learn and integrate 3D into their retouching workflow.

3D programs are becoming better at rendering high quality images in a reasonable amount of time. Of course it is hard to get the beautiful gradations of photographs without major post work.

It would be nice to see members post their 3D retouching. Composites, typography, painterly or pure 3D would be cool to see. I see a new creative paradigm shift that is happening in the retouching industry.

You can see my work in the gallery, to get an idea of what I am on about. The Saturn and HP ad are examples.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by stevebarrett; 09-20-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Left the company
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I am a big fan of 3D design. But for now it's way outta my league.
I tried 3Dsmax a while ago, but I decided to stick by 2D for now. Also rendering took al my enthusiasm away. That took an eternity on my machine.
But in the future I definitely want to learn 3D design, and I think it would also be helpful for retouching, especially for image manipulation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 AM

Re: 3D RETOUCHING -- Maya, Cinema 4D, Modo. Lightwave

To stay in this business, I think you'll need to have a little knowledge in 3D. CGI Backgrounds.com offers photography for 3D rendering. Automobile photographers are losing work to computer graphic firms that render the original CAD data from car manufacturers. Check out the photoreal renders. http://www.cgibackgrounds.com/samples/index.html

I heard that one of the new Ford catalogs was produced using CGI cars. It makes sense for manufacturers because they don't have to create real prototypes of the cars for photography, and design changes can be made up until the last minute. The car renders a very clean, so you need to DETOUCH the images by adding dirt and noise, to make them look real.

Humans are difficult to render, but there are advances being made in organic too. I see more realistic renders being produced everday. See http://206.145.80.239/zbc/featured2col.php

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalVector
I am a big fan of 3D design. But for now it's way outta my league.
I tried 3Dsmax a while ago, but I decided to stick by 2D for now. Also rendering took al my enthusiasm away. That took an eternity on my machine.
But in the future I definitely want to learn 3D design, and I think it would also be helpful for retouching, especially for image manipulation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 06:36 AM

Hi Steve

I have recently downloaded (free) Poser 5 and Bryce and I also have ZBrush2 although I have not done anything with them yet. All these 3D programs appear pretty daunting to a newbie.
Thanks for the links posted above. All those images at ZBrush Central look amazing.

I just wondered which program you would recommend to learn first?
Which would help most with retouching and restoration? Let’s say I just wanted to replace a hand or a foot or make a new nose or mouth.
In the past I have spent far too long searching for body parts at the correct angle. It would be nice to have a library of parts that could be manipulated to the correct angle.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Janitor

Strata 3D apps

I hear Strata has the most approachable 3D apps for those of us used to Photoshop. They also have a photo-to-3D app that's quite clever.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:11 PM

Hi Ken,

Poser 6 is in a league of it's own. You can manipulate figures easily and morph the body parts. Currently, there is a lot of puppet-like imagery being created by users, but the software company is developing more detailed models every year. The new image based lighting offers more natural lighting effects with HDRi light probes.

I think it a software that has possiblities for the future. For now, you will have to be able to draw, retouch and paint really well to make the generated humans look photoreal.

http://www.facegen.com/ is an interesting piece of software. Check out the overview video.

Alot of 3D artists use http://www.3d.sk/ for 3D modeling. Maybe you could incorporate anatomical parts from the photo library. The photos have flat lighting used for 3D modeling.

3D can't really be convincing without base photography. All 3D programs wrap photos around wireframe models. in Zbrush, a user can litereally paint skin and pores in 3D. See http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/educ...classroom.html Take a look at the Kris Costa tutorials.

Creating photoreal humans in 3D easily will be possible in the near future. For now, there are no easy tools to make humans. Keep up with this area and continue developing your Photoshop skills.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameraken
Hi Steve

I have recently downloaded (free) Poser 5 and Bryce and I also have ZBrush2 although I have not done anything with them yet. All these 3D programs appear pretty daunting to a newbie.
Thanks for the links posted above. All those images at ZBrush Central look amazing.

I just wondered which program you would recommend to learn first?
Which would help most with retouching and restoration? Let’s say I just wanted to replace a hand or a foot or make a new nose or mouth.
In the past I have spent far too long searching for body parts at the correct angle. It would be nice to have a library of parts that could be manipulated to the correct angle.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 PM

Re: Strata 3D apps

Hi Doug,

I haven't used Strata for a while, but I will check out the latest version and let you know what I think.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I hear Strata has the most approachable 3D apps for those of us used to Photoshop. They also have a photo-to-3D app that's quite clever.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Janitor

I put a link to a pretty cool movie showing Photoshop integration with Ghost Painter over in Salon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2006, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info Steve and Doug

I have tried to download the Facegen video but is has stopped half way. I will try again later. (There is also another program that has been mentioned at RP called FaceFilter Studio) These look pretty easy but I think they are really just for faces.

http://www.3d.sk/ WOW. Thanks for that link. That is a great resource. It’s a little expensive for my needs (maybe I can make a mask for the watermarks )

I will read the Zbrush tutorials when I get time.

It looks like I should persevere with Poser. I will keep reading. I do agree that in the future these 3D programs will become more integrated into restoration

Thanks again for the info.

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Hi Doug,

Maxon's BodyPaint is another cool stand alone software that's similar to Ghost Painter.

http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/.../bp3d_2_e.html

The Maxon Hair module is cool. http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/...aircreate.html
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/...material2.html
http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/...mmetrycut.html

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I put a link to a pretty cool movie showing Photoshop integration with Ghost Painter over in Salon.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images