Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D in New York shops

Old 01-20-2007, 10:35 PM
3D in New York shops

Hi, I'm new here!

I've been wondering in what places and to what extent 3D is used for print work in New York. I saw one previous posting about 3D, but the listed shops were mostly outside of the US. I just got interested in working as a retoucher recently after doing most of my school work and some professional work oriented towards 3D for visual effects. I have all this Maya and Shake, rendering, dynamics, and compositing experience that I'd like to still be able to put to use. But print work is such a draw since I did all this photography before, so Photoshop remains first love. Anyway, I appreciate any comments here. Thanks!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Re: 3D in New York shops

I left NY a few months back to move out to Los Angeles, but came across a great deal of rendering in advertising. Most of it is done in the automotive market, but I've also come across a great deal in the still life market across the board. How good are you at Maya? I often come across things I need to generate for a visual.

Just did a job where they wanted to render a vinyl backdrop with wrinkles and texture. Didn't want to spend a lot of time illustrating it, but would have loved to have had someone who could render it in an hour.

I mostly do high end retouching, but would love to talk more about your Maya skills..

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 PM

our retouching studio employs a couple people full-time that have rendering/motion graphics skills. it comes in handy when you need to make something from scratch and add the realism of reflections and odd lighting. the point of this is...yes there is a market for a 3d/retouching spot. you just have to find the right company.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your replies! It really helps in figuring things out and knowing of the different kinds of work that's out there.

I'm still searching for the places that fall somewhere in that middle ground between the fashion/beauty retouching houses and the architectural visualization studios. So I guess now I can be more specific. If anyone happens to know of names or resources to point to the places that do more like compositing kind of work (like what I saw on the XYZ website), and I guess of a visual style tending more towards photorealistic than graphic, I would appreciate hearing of those. Thanks again!

(I have some work on a web site here , some of which, hopefully, speaks of the style I'm seeking out.)

Last edited by ds604; 01-26-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Package design/advertising there's TOOOOONNNNSSS in New York and it pays really really good.

I've made a fulltime freelance career over the past two years JUST rendering bottles for a single branding/package design company. I'm starting to branch out to get other clients this year.

but anything that has packaging has a design company in NYC probably. cigarettes, hair coloring boxes, bottles, etc etc. Alot of times it's just making renders for them to use for in house client concept presentations, but alot of times it's for print advertisment as well!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images