RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

How Synthetic is Too Synthetic?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:30 AM

Re: How Synthetic is Too Synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Did you hand in a photocopy of a poem?
No. We weren't talking specifically about poetry, but the conversation was very similar.

Quote:
Did the arsonist "create" the new sculpture? Either way, I suspect he didn't intend to. Or, in finding it, did the photographer (for the sake of this discussion, not counting the photo "record" he made of it)?
Yes to both. The photographer because he embued it with meaning leading him to want to record it as we've discussed. And with the arsonist the "sculpture" didn't exist in that state before his actions and afterward it did. But nobody observed it in such a way until the photographer came along. But, that starts to get into quantum mechanics and collapsing probability wavefronts like in the "If a tree falls in the forest..." scenario.

In light of that wikipedia article I'd classify the melted keyboard "sculpture" as "Inadvertantly Found Art."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Janitor

So I guess if my making lunch is creatively equivalent to Michaelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel, we need a new word for "create".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Well, I'd say that the mechanism by which we create something physical from an idea or thought would be the same. However, depending on what you want to create, different knowledge or skills may be necessary. And the value of what is created is subject to the complexities of human society.

I've seen the Sistine Chapel with my own eyes. It's breath-taking. When you're standing there beneath it, there is no doubt that you are in the presence of one of the greatest creative works to come out of mankind. Yet, if I were about to die of starvation I would probably think your lunch much more valuable to me.

Works of creation can be tiny or gigantic in scale and percieved value. However, I still think that mysterious "spark" that allows us to form an idea and turn it into physical reality is exactly the same at its core regardless of what's being created.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 AM

And we do have another word for "create..." it's "made." You don't really go around saying you "created lunch," but rather you "made lunch."

Last edited by Racc Iria; 05-31-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Janitor

That was my opening argument that you've taken the opposite side of for two pages. You can't have it both ways. If the 52nd and 53rd consecutive photocopies are both unique creations, so was my lunch.

I'm thinking of creating an Ikea bookcase tonight, but I'll probably end up just creating some television show to watch. Scrubs is a repeat, I created the season finale last week
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
That was my opening argument that you've taken the opposite side of for two pages. You can't have it both ways. If the 52nd and 53rd consecutive photocopies are both unique creations, so was my lunch.

I'm thinking of creating an Ikea bookcase tonight, but I'll probably end up just creating some television show to watch. Scrubs is a repeat, I created the season finale last week
Yes, you can have it both ways. I have been arguing the opposite side. I still stand by it. But, I also said it depends on how granular you want to get.

On the "macro" level, you are right... there are levels of distinction that we humans give to created works. It's that percieved value again. It's human nature.

On the "micro" level, though, that certain "spark" of something that allows us as humans to create anything (be it an idea or the Sistine Chapel) IS exactly the same. And that's where the "miracle" lies.

Think about it. When you make your lunch, you're taking pre-existing elements and combining them and processing them into a dirivitive form... your lunch... as you envisioned it. Michaelangelo did exactly the same thing with the Sistine Chapel. He took pre-existing plant elements and reformed them into pigment and paint. He took pre-existing animal hair and pieces of wood and recombined them into brushes. He then used those elements to bring his idea to reality, just as you did with your lunch. The only question remains... which is more valuable? It all depends on who you ask and their circumstances. The core creative process is the same.

As for the copies of the poem... on the macro level people would tend to say each copy is the same. Again, human nature. Makes things easier to deal with. But, on the micro level, all those copies are unique as discussed earlier. The same goes for your bookcase and episodes of Scrubs. On your macro level, they are considered the same, but on the micro level they are unique. They can't exist otherwise.

And Doug... I have to say this is the most engaging conversation I've had in a long time. I don't know about you, but I've really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Janitor

If creativity is as ubiquitous as the air that we breathe, then like the air that we breathe it is valueless. Air only becomes valuable when the supply is limited. I value creativity, so there must be a limited supply of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Well, concerning the original. I played with Apophysis but only briefly. It seemed that there were a bit more controls than I used. It's a generator. Given a few variables, it creates an image. Someone (probably many) on dA does this often. Some are more enjoyable than others. It's like "throwing paint" art. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes not. But, I digress. Although you were behind the "controls", I don't find this to be something personally created vs some predetermined parameters combined to result in a final output. Now, if you know what you're doing and actually strive and succeed in making something that you set out to do, then yes . . .you created.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
If creativity is as ubiquitous as the air that we breathe, then like the air that we breathe it is valueless. Air only becomes valuable when the supply is limited. I value creativity, so there must be a limited supply of it.
And that's exactly why the creativity involved in doing mundane things like making lunch doesn't impress us, as humans, much. The miracle of "creation" is lost on us because it's too hard to see, and way too difficult to wrap our minds around in any satisfying way. So, to deal with it, we give creation a perceived value. A great work of art or literature is apparently worth more to us, as humans, than what we made for lunch. It's easier to see the effort and talent that went into it. And so creativity, like air, is taken for granted... until it's gone. Then we realize how desperately we need it.

Air is so plentiful that most of the time we don't even notice it's there. But without it, we die. It's the same with creativity. Especially creativity at the micro level. Imagine if you were unable to act on your thoughts and turn your ideas into reality. You couldn't create/make your lunch let alone paint a masterpiece. And so, you would die, and not only from boredom. You would be unable to sustain your existence.

So, creativity is just as crucial to our survival as the air we breathe and it's so plentiful that it's taken for granted and largely ignored... until we're cut off from it and we learn its true value.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arphot View Post
Although you were behind the "controls", I don't find this to be something personally created vs some predetermined parameters combined to result in a final output. Now, if you know what you're doing and actually strive and succeed in making something that you set out to do, then yes . . .you created.
And that's been a big part of this discussion. You describe two instances of creativity. One as being merely an "accident" if you will just inputting random values to see what happens. And number two as having an intent that you strive to accomplish using the same means.

Number two you valued as a creative work because of the intent involved, but number one you did not. Though, both times, the same creative process was at work. Again... perceived value.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images