RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Models wanted

Old 10-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Re: Models wanted

Is this close to what you are looking for, for the background? If so, I'll post a link for the 3DS file for you. Otherwise, give me an idea of what you are looking for, and I'll see if I can do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Background.jpg (37.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Dave.Cox; 10-21-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Janitor

See my note above, a plain wood bowl is actually what's needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
2) A curved white backdrop, cloth or paper, no pattern at all, pure white (texture OK)
This is the portion that I was replying to, although I might do the bowl for you as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 PM

I think I'm getting the hang of it. The base mesh and loops are good. But I'm not used to working this dense, so the loops are getting a tad out of whack (but should be fine at this density). And the UV is decent.

Now I gotta practice shaping it and add a stem. Yeah, shaping is fun. Grooves and bumps and stuff. "Interesting." Hehehe.

If I remember correctly, the textures have to be added already when imported into CS3 Extended. Is it possible to import a texture onto the mesh after you import the mesh into CS3 Extended? All I really remember hearing is that there is something funky about textures once you get into CS3 E. Anything you can tell me about this greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bpeppertest01.jpg (12.3 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Here's your wood bowl, but I haven't been able to figure out how to preserve the texture in a 3DS file.

By the way Stroker, Great Job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WoodBowl.jpg (125.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Dave.Cox; 10-22-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Janitor

Photoshop can't add textures, but it can edit them.

As for preserving with 3DS, I've only worked with OBJ, and they get saved as 3 files, the OBJ file, a JPG texture, and an MTL file that matches them together.

Both props are looking very good. If the final files are too large to attach here, just email them to me. (dnelson at this domain)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 AM

E-mail sent just to check a few things before proceding further. Ducks in a row and stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 09:40 AM

I did not open this for a while thinking it as indeed the photographic type of model you wanted..LOL

Sign up for Turbo Squid, although they sell 3D models they have a ton of free ones, just search the item and change the order to show by cost and the free ones are at the top. I have grabbed a few objects to use in CS3 this way.

As a note if anybody applies texture using plugins or built in texture libraries they will not make it to PS, they have to be bitmaps. I have found issues with mapping, I did a hockey puck and found that the mapping was not honored in Photoshop, this was because I used a cylinder mapping and Photoshop just slapped it on square.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM

I finally got the 3D file exported with the texture files. I can see the texture loaded in the layers when I load it into Photoshop, but I can't see it on the image in Photoshop. If you have an idea how to get it to show, please let me know. Any way, here are some images. I would email the files to you, but I don't see anyway to add an attachment to your email.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woodbowl01.jpg (55.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg woodbowl02.jpg (108.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg woodbowl03.jpg (58.6 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Janitor

Got the bowl file, though it looks a lot different in Photoshop. Also got the pepper file.

First thing I noticed was that Photoshop won't let you rotate more than one object. Second was that 3D objects in Photoshop are on layers above and below each other, just like photo layers, so they can't interact. I can't even export them simultaneously to the Strata render filter.

Here's a quick b/w mockup of what the final challenge will look like, using the two models so far. It's supposed to be b/w, which works out because I can't get Stroker's pepper to show in color. (see link in post #4 for context)

Hope you don't mind if I link to your files. That way everyone can play along. If you make improvements just let us know:

Pepper
Bowl

If you have any changes to make to the models let me know and I'll replace the zips. Once you're satisfied, let me know and I'll start a new thread with the challenge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepper.jpg (22.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 10-22-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images