RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Models wanted

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Janitor

Models wanted

No, not you (but you are a sexy thing, you).

I'm looking for 2 specific 3D models for a test I'd like to run here. They'd both need to be either already free, or released for our purposes here. They'd need to be in a common format (OBJ, 3DS, etc.). Both need to be texture mapped and complete (test is lighting and rendering, not modeling and texturing).

1) A bell pepper, preferably "interesting" (ie: not too idealized)
2) A curved white backdrop, cloth or paper, no pattern at all, pure white (texture OK)

If you're thinking this is starting to sound a bit Weston-in-Mexico, you are correct. That's the test I'm planning (not to match or emulate, just everyone working from the same common models).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 AM

Re: Models wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
No, not you (but you are a sexy thing, you).
Bugger!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 04:31 AM

Got me all excited for nothing! lol!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Janitor

That's funny, why am I all excited?

Oh, and my bad, it's a pepper and a wooden bowl, not a pepper on a seamless background.

A bowl should be easier, anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 04:25 PM

Try the google sketch 3D warehouse:
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM

sheesh doug, nearly got my teeth fixed for this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 AM

I can do a bell pepper. Model and UV map it, but not really in the mood to texture. Well, maybe a rough texture to show the major landmarks. How dense do you want the mesh?

Not really sure what you mean by a curved backdrop. If you can show me a photograph or a quick sketch, I should be able to do this as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Janitor

That would be great! I'm not really certain what the difference is between a UV map and a texture, (I thought they were the same thing, or one is what you do with the other). But sure, as long as there is a texture in place, that's fine (Photoshop can't originate textures, but it can edit existing ones). As far as mesh, I'll leave that up to you, as long as it's dense enough to be photorealistic (given a proper texture).

See above note about nixing the backdrop. Generic wood bowl is fine (walnut, teak, whatever). As long as it looks "real", and the pepper can fit into it (see above linked photo).

The idea is less to have perfect models than it is for everyone to have the same models to start with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Wood bowl - I'm a sucker for cherry and mahogany. Got it.

When it comes to rastor textures, the UV map translates the 2d rastor to 3d space. I'm sure you've seen 2d wireframes for painting on 3d objects. Templates, so to speak.

Now, texturing the bell pepper can be tricky. Changing the over all color isn't much of a problem. But other maps that come into play can be a pain. Specular? Gloss? Reflection? Procedural or rastor? These things depend a great deal on the software used, especially when it comes to lighting and the renderer.

Something like a bell pepper would probably be better left to attributes in the material. Personally, I wouldn't use any 2d rastor textures for a bell pepper.

I don't know. We can figure this out a little further down the road.

I've never done a pepper before, but what I've done so far is certaintly interesting. Purely organic in a weird shape. I'm gonna start from scratch a few times so I can get a better feel for it. Once I get a better feel for the edge-loops, I should be able to knock out several for you to choose from.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Janitor

This is really excellent, and I appreciate the time you're putting into it.

As you (and the other readers) have probably surmised, I'm planning a 3D challenge similar to our photo restoration and retouching challenges. Now that Photoshop can handle 3D models and rendering plugins are starting to hit the market, I think it will be a good time to start studying what goes in to making a "photo" that incorporates or is entirely based on 3D models.

Of course, I won't limit it to just users of Photoshop CS3 Extended, since evidently there's only about 3 of us that post here regularly so far (and I'm probably the only one of those 3 that has the Strata plugin). But I do think techniques used in 3DS Max, Lightwave, Modo, Cinema 4D, Maya, Strata, or even Photoshop CS3 Extended can help users of any of the above (or more) just as Photoshop techniques can be adapted for Paint Shop Pro or Painter (and vice versa).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images