RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D wine glass

Old 01-12-2008, 11:26 PM

Re: 3D wine glass

Your right about seeing only background in the top of the glass, Ro. That's something that I have noticed that you get when you render an object like this. I usually fix these problems in Photoshop.

Pixel monkey, did you use the lathe modifier to create the glass? That's how I usually do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 AM

Dave, I used a reference image of the glass and traced the profile with a curve, then I revolved the curve 360 degree in the Y direction. All necessary adjustments were made via the control points on the curve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (87.8 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
...I used a reference image of the glass and traced the profile with a curve ....
Just another nit-pick.
In my ..er.. limited experience with wine glasses the bottom of the glass wouldn't be so flat.
Not that this in any way detracts from your render - but you would probably get a few more interesting reflections / refractions in the base.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Yep, that's how I would do it, although I use 3DS. To rotate the spline in 3DS, you would use the lathe modifier. If you are interested, you can look at some of my other work here: http://www.davesdfr.com. Look for the 3D section in the gallery.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with Maya, although I understand that they are similar.

You might want to check out this site. http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php
Some really cool stuff there.

I thought that I would try a version of this. This is 3D Studio, no Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WineGlasses.jpg (189.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Dave.Cox; 01-13-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM

Rô,
I started off with a thicker base, but I didn't like the way it reflected and refracted with the surface so I thinned it down. I might like the thicker base better if I put the glass in a photographic environment with an actual environmental map for the glass to reflect upon. That's what I'm working on at the moment, but with flowing liquid this time.

Dave,
There's no lathe modifier in Maya. It has something called the shape deformer, and a whole bunch of other deformers and modifiers, but none of them is necessary for a simple glass primitive. I find that I get more control over the shape by pulling vertices on the curve.

I used to frequent 3dbuzz a lot more often than I do here. I like it back in the days when they gave you generous space to upload your demo reel in your user profile and when you sent them a blank CD-R with a pre-paid envelop, they sent you back some good tutorial vids...those were the days. Like highend3d and cgtalk, I haven't been there in a while. I'm just fortunate that I have quite a few friends working all over LA from gaming to CG movies. They constantly provide me with some great learning materials and keep me in touch with 3D.

One of the biggest challenges that I encountered with rendering the glass and liquid was finding the correct refraction index value for each of them and having them interact with one another to get them to look the way they look now. I'm not sure how the material shaders work in 3dMax, I used the value of 1.5 for the glass and 1.33 for the liquid. They are all based on real world values. I also used an extra material that interacts with the glass and liquid right at where they meet. In the real world, you won't be able to see the thickness of the glass at all when it's filled with liquid. Check out The Gnomon Workshop or Digital Tutors, they have some great rendering DVDs...at least for Maya.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2009, 02:22 PM

I know that noone has posted in this thread for a while but I thought I ought to anyway.

Here's a set of wine glasses I made a couple of minutes ago in bryce 3d and a slightly more complicated render I did last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glasses.jpg (93.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pharma32.jpg (68.0 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 AM

hey dxm,

I been researching tutorials for the past few days, I have a project in which i need to create a corner like the one on ur image, do you know any tutorials or sites that might help me with it? i started using maya a month ago or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio7160 View Post
hey dxm,

I been researching tutorials for the past few days, I have a project in which i need to create a corner like the one on ur image, do you know any tutorials or sites that might help me with it? i started using maya a month ago or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
oh... I'm not at all familiar with maya, I mostly work with Sketchup or Bryce, but if you know what formats Maya is able to import I might be able to send a premade "photocorner".

As for how I did it; I just created two cubes, extended along x and y axis and flattened along the y. then I set the material and upped the reflection.

I think you may have to start on the written tut's as well, they are often more in depth.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images