RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D wine glass

Old 01-02-2008, 04:53 PM

3D wine glass

This is the latest 3D still I made in my exploration with photo-realistic rendering in Maya. It's a straight render with no Photoshop work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wine_glasses.jpg (99.0 KB, 294 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Re: 3D wine glass

looks nice..how does Maya define photo-realistic?..does maya offer any depth of field controls or does that have to be done in photoshop?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2008, 07:18 PM

The reflections and refractions look very good , but you can see why folks usually use a black matte background for showing off glasswork. The way it is, it's pretty hard to make out the empty glass. Try darkening the tiles (a lot).

Also the close-up camera distorts the shapes and detracts the viewer.

Nice work.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
looks nice..how does Maya define photo-realistic?..does maya offer any depth of field controls or does that have to be done in photoshop?
Maya itself doesn't define realism, really...it's the renderer. Maya native renderer is mediocre; however, it's now a truly complete 3D package ever since it incorporated Mental Ray in version 6.5. Mental Ray's a very powerful renderer that's able to render all things in the psychical world and their properties. Its nodes and attributes are almost overwhelming and certain input values need to be very specific in order to achieve the looks you're after. For instance, I had a tough and frustrating time to get the glass to look the way it looks now just because my refraction index value was only .4 off from the refraction index value of glass in the real world. Its limitation is really the users knowledge. The image is very focus overall, 'cause I used a very simple camera with default setting. Maya does have DOF capability and that's what I'm trying to figure out how it works. It's a slow process...and I'm still working on the lighting setup for the car from my other post.

Quote:
The reflections and refractions look very good , but you can see why folks usually use a black matte background for showing off glasswork. The way it is, it's pretty hard to make out the empty glass. Try darkening the tiles (a lot).

Also the close-up camera distorts the shapes and detracts the viewer.

Nice work.

I actually used darker tiles for my first render, but I prefer the lighter version somehow. I'll include it here, so you can compare. Good point, I used a 35mm lens for that shot. It looks more proportional at 70mm. I'll post a render when I get that done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wine_glasses_dark.jpg (68.4 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2008, 01:30 AM

Which lightning setup do you have used? normals spot light or global illumination?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
...DOF... It's a slow process...
For a one-off image it's a lot quicker to render out a depth map and use that in Photoshop to control a lens blur.
OK, it's postwork - but, to me anyway, postwork is a perfectly valid part of the process.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoolan View Post
Which lightning setup do you have used? normals spot light or global illumination?
This scene is illuminated by a single spot light that emits photons, hence the caustics you see on the surface of the tiles. No GI was needed.

Quote:
For a one-off image it's a lot quicker to render out a depth map and use that in Photoshop to control a lens blur.
OK, it's postwork - but, to me anyway, postwork is a perfectly valid part of the process.

I can just do the DOF in Photoshop with no problem. Since I'm doing this in 3D, I might as well learn how to do it within the program and take advantage of the 3D environment to achieve more accurate result. The rendering part shouldn't take long at all. I was referring to the "trying to figure out how it works" part being a slow process, especially when doing it accurately.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 AM

Well, rendering DOF with Mental Ray in Maya proved to be difficult to control and I just couldn't get any decent result out of it. What I did here was rendered out a Z-depth map and used it in post for the DOF. I put the Z-depth map in the Lens Blur filter in Photoshop and the result turned out a lot better than what I got in 3D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wineGlass_zdof.jpg (96.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg zdepth.jpg (13.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg wire.jpg (96.0 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 09:08 AM

The only thing you have to watch out for when doing DOF this way is dealing correctly with transparencies.
As you can see on the depth map, the left wine-glass is all white, but what we actually see at the top of the glass is the background and not the glass.
Mind you, it's the sort of thing only a nitpicker would worry about , and I only saw the sharp background there because I was looking for it!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM

You do have an eye for this sort of stuff. It does look like an additional alpha channel on top of the transparent objects is needed for this kind of render. Other than that, the depth map works great on shaded objects and I can actually able to control the amount of DOF I want in real time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images