RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D element in 2D image

Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Re: 3D element in 2D image

I'll have a deeper look into Photoshop 3D layer when I get the chance. I was not impressed at all with Photoshop 3D layer at my first introduction...maybe because I already know Maya and know that using a robust 3D program, such as Maya and Max will produce much better results. I find the new 3D feature in Photoshop is just not developed enough to be used in a production environment. I shouldn't be presumptuous, but I'm pretty sure Adobe has no intention to replace After Effects with Photoshop Extended. Compositing, camera tracking, and animation are what After Effects designed to do. It's pretty much the industry standard program alone with programs like Shake and Combustion. Oh...one thing that I found very unsettling with Photoshop 3D layer from a modeler perspective is that I first have to build and texture my model in my 3D program, but instead of taking advantage of my 3D program ability to render out advanced features like global illumination lighting and HDRI, I need to import my time consuming to build 3D model in Photoshop only to have it come out at the pre-rendered stage is just...pointless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM

regarding the realism and you pointing out that you weren't aiming for it... here's some tips anyway

the water render could be improved in photoshop, it looks like you blurred the background to hide the quality of it, its not even a depth of field blur, the model is now just clearly superimposed. also blurring it completely moots the reason you rendered it in 3K in the first place.

what you should do is mess more with the "water" in photoshop (blending modes, color changes, opacity) also you should look into using some stock photos (or your own) of waves crashing.

In one of my works here I have done that,
http://rdelw.deviantart.com/art/Trident-81454813
you could easily have that wrapping around buildings, and use it to hide the "plasticness" of the render.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 AM

I always tend to render my stills big enough for the files I work on since they're either raw or hi-res tiff format. 3k render is not unusual, but you're right about 3k for this particular image is a bit too much after I realized that this picture was shot at f4.5 and everything behind the model was off focus. With that being said, I didn't blur the background. The only thing I blurred here is the actual render to match the background, so a 1k file should work as well.

Using stock images was not the intent of this project. Otherwise, I would've posted this in the compositing forum. Anyway, thanks for the great tips on the wonders that I could do with blend modes, opacity, color changes, and the wrapping tool in Photoshop.

Anyway, if you were trying to show how to create convincing looking water with your example, then it's probably not the best one. The water in your picture just lacks in uniformity. The splashes/crashing waves just don't seem they're coming from that same body of water. It's very obvious that they're external sources and that's probably the reason why the aerial perspective is just off. Perhaps, that was your artistic intent as what I've done to mine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images