RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D element in 2D image

Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 AM

3D element in 2D image

Here's an image that I just finished using 3D as one of the main elements in the scene.

Image #1 is the original photo from Jasz that can be found in this thread.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...s-retouch.html

Image #2 is the concept sketch.

Image #3 is the imported 2D image in 3D for setting up the shot.

Image #4 is the simulated CG water made up by about 5 million polygons rushing through a street corridor.

The last image is the finished version with the rendered CG water comped in Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cg0.jpg (85.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg cg05.jpg (95.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg cg1.jpg (98.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg cg2.jpg (95.2 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg cg4.jpg (92.8 KB, 201 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 AM

Re: 3D element in 2D image

WOW, you sure have skills!!! Nice work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 07:48 AM

It almost looks like your are using Cinema 4D to render your 3D. Is it 3D Max you are using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Thanks.

The water is rendered with Mental Ray in Maya. It took at least 20 hours to render one frame at 3k. I started the render right before I went to bed, woke up the next morning, went to work, got home from work, and it was still rendering. I have a fairly fast CPU running with 4 gigs of workstation ram, too. There were just way too many polygons in the scene and all those reflections, refractions, and all other properties to calculate...I'm just glad that it didn't crash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 PM

creative, yet a bit nerdy(in a good way)...

But I would like to point out that the wave in her back doesn't look very real...I'm not a 3d wiz in anyway,so i hope I don't ruined your day... Maybe a bit blue colour to the water would help? Or reflections from the background behind the picture would work? hmmm...

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah...I'm a huge Photoshop nerd...haha.

I know what're you saying. The bottom half of the wave appears darker it's because it has a much larger volume of water as oppose to the splashes up top. Therefore, very little light was able to pass through...just like you'll be able to see the bottom of a stream and not the bottom of a much larger body of water, such as rivers and seas. I just used what came out of my render. No worry...do say what you feel here. You didn't ruin my day. Btw, I didn't intend to create a realistic scene with this. When was the last time you saw raging water rushing through street corridors with models getting ready for their close up? haha. It's just one of the many ideas I have and I decided to make this one happen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Have you tried playing PANGYA guys? Thats a heck of a 3D model..haha..Its a nice game for those who don't know how to play golf in real life.....well its an online game...and its a fun game

The best golf ball reviews i found
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Just a thought pixelomonkey, what if you used vanashing point in photoshop to tell maya the perspective? Mark out the lines on the buildings in the background and then exprort into maya and back into photoshop. Not sure how it would work, just a what if.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 PM

I've haven't tried this, yet. I do know that Maya lets you import Illustrator paths, but I'm not sure about Photoshop data. I can tell you that it's not going to work well, because you still have to manually position the camera in such a way to match the 2D image plane in Maya...and it's definitely not going to work when it involves animation when you have to animate the camera. The Perspective Camera in Maya will automatically give you perspective when you place an object in its view. You can also measure distance in Maya that'll give you a much more clear idea of how far the distance between each object is as oppose to try to figure it out in Photoshop. Some very useful info that I took from the picture was the exif data that I used to help me set up the camera in Maya with a similar focal length to match the one that was used in the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 05:25 PM

I have Maya but I'm not at all experienced with it. I do know that photoshop cs3 has some pretty decent compatibilaty and functionality for 3d. After you draw out the planes with VP you can go under the layer menu and choose 3d layers, transform 3d layer which will give you the camera position as well as the ability to animate. I know ps will export into 3d max so I would asume it will play with Maya. Again I'm shooting from the hip here just trying you make helpful suggestions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images