Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D Software + Photoshop

Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Re: 3D Software + Photoshop

I would suggest Vue Infinite, which has a starter version (Vue Easel) for under $75 I believe. It's not meant for creating objects (as most of those mentioned here are), but for creating environments, which makes it great for photography backgrounds. I wrote a short article about it here. The article shows how I used Vue and Photoshop (and Painter) together to create an image. Hope you find it useful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by jbrooklyn View Post
Is there any difference between 3dmax and Maya? In terms of modeling still product imagery is Modo just as strong as these programs, or do they offer some other benefit/realism that other programs don't have?
Asking the differences between Maya and Max in the 3D world usually ends like PC vs Mac as you would expect. It goes nowhere. It all comes down to personal preference. Although both Maya and Max are owned by the same company now, but they'll never going to get integrated as one for many reasons. One thing I can tell you that's fair is that both Maya and Max are very powerful 3D programs. The only limit you can do with them all comes down to your skills, knowledge, and your imagination.
Modo is not in the same league as Maya and Max. It definitely lacks in advanced features, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't do what you're trying to achieve for your purpose. Again, it depends on your skills.
If you're absolutely not sure, I'd suggest you to try out the trial version of these programs so you can at least get a taste of what they're about before you burn a hole in your wallet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 03:02 PM

I know this sounds like it's not helpful, but if you're trying your hand at 3d, you need to do a little experimenting to find a workflow that fits your style. As pixel_monkey suggested, run demo versions, try an app on someone else's machine, maybe even take a class. When you're in a class, you may be eligible for sweet deals on academic versions of software to test more 3d waters. Personally, I find that my pixel-pushing skills from Photoshop and Painter seem to lean me towards polygon and subd modelling. Nurbs are just confounding to me, though I can appreciate their flexibility. Due to that, I really enjoy Silo and am digging Zbrush more every day, but find that I may shift from Strata CX (which has a very Adobe-like interface and a great render engine) to Maya for output depending on what the project demands. Maya can give you stunning effects, but I've really never heard of a prodigy with Maya; it's learning curve reminds me of the weeder physics classes as an engineering student- but it is one of the industry standards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 AM

Here's an example of combining photography and basic 3D. Just used google sketchup and cheetah3D.
Background (prison) completely modeled in sketchup, rendering in cheetah3d, people and sofa photographed. Lots of postproduction in photoshop.

The more expensive packages (modo, cinema4d...) are far more expensive, more difficult. If you need al the nice possibilities like animation... than modo is my advice. You'ld be suprised how many wonderful things people model with google sketchup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg prison-café-for-web_600px.jpg (88.1 KB, 114 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 02:40 AM

Thanks everybody for your advice.
Vue and Sketchup added to the list ( I'm doing some backgrounds in sketchup to be used then in ps, just to try...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 05:46 AM

If you are interested in creating environments and not original models, I would suggest you try Bryce 6. It is way easier to use than Max or Maya and much cheaper too. Have a look
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Not sure, based on the above, if there's interest here, but I have put together a series of three articles about incorporating a 2D image into a 3D scene (created with Vue Infinite), and then finishing it in either Photoshop or Painter. You can read it here.

I'm also featuring RetouchPro in an article coming out later this week.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM

If you're interested in learning any 3D program (or many other programs) subscribe to They have great tutorials with supplied sample files and a variety of programs.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images