Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Era-inspired fashion/3d composites

Old 10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Era-inspired fashion/3d composites

This is a project that I had worked on over a period of many weeks, ending in the summer- there are eight final still images overall. This was an interesting project where I was brought in by the photographer early in the concept stage, if you'll excuse my really rough storyboards. After storyboards were complete, I assisted the photographer in making selects and started to build the sets on the 8 different backgrounds that would act as dioramas for two fashionistas traveling through time.This is the first scene, set in the 1920s in front of a speakeasy.

The next step involved building some prop models with Silo 2.1 and making quick renders to see how the figure would interact with the environment; the end result was intended to be in an illustrative, rather than realistic style. I also realized that since the framing would be tight around the figures, I could vary the detail of the objects, sometimes leaving them incomplete where they were out of the image plane.

Once the blocking was more or less complete, I could concentrate on the lighting and the texturing- in this case, mood was important, but the figure needed to be center stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20s_story.jpg (80.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20sscene.jpg (60.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20sscene_car.jpg (89.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20sscene_door.jpg (72.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ERA_firstpass.jpg (62.1 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Re: Era-inspired fashion/3d composites

I think these are interesting and atmospheric remind me of
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Overall an interesting composite and a good conceptual idea. The car and background meld together nicely!
One of the first things I noticed was the halo completely around the lady. Second, her feet and legs were not in the shadow of the car and her lighting seems to come from a different direction. Third, she casts no shadow at all...Looking more like a cardboard doll taped onto a background than part of the picture.

I guess if this is a finished project and the photographer and/or client are happy then these are mute points But may be something to consider for future projects
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 AM

A interesting voyage into a unknown world for me great work

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images