RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

How to turn images into a wrap for sphere?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:59 PM

How to turn images into a wrap for sphere?

Attached is a bump map image created by Ed Harris that has been used for creating golf ball dimples on a 3D sphere. When I apply this to a sphere in Swift 3D the dimples are perfectly distributed around the sphere.

What I would like to do is use this same concept for applying other wraps to spheres. I am assuming Ed started with a rectangular matrix of "dimples" and then ran some sort of distortion on it to get this resulting map that can properly distribute the dimples around the sphere (especially at the poles). What I would like to be able to do is apply this same distortion technique to create other types of image wraps. For example, assume I have an image that is 6x3 matrix of photos that I want to wrap a sphere with. Or pehaps, I just have a text phrase I want to use to create a belt of text around a sphere.

I have Photoshop Extended CS4 and have tried the Richard Rosenman Spherical Mapping Corrector filter, but it doesn't give the same results. Any suggestions?

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small golfball.jpg (91.0 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 PM

Re: How to turn images into a wrap for sphere?

If you have CS4 then load your 3D sphere - paint it how you want and save the texture map .

Christine

Last edited by Xaran; 05-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Patron

Not a 3D guy, but I did find this cool site with models when I was in my Space Art phase. They have a really cool Cinema 4D of a golfball too by the way.

http://planetpixelemporium.com/objects.html#row1
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Patron

OK; I'll play. I used Mathmap to map a texture that I created using your bumpmap (used GIMPs bumpmap filter on solid color with your bumpmap relief on top to create the dimple texture). I then blended in some shadows and highlights and then added PS's Plastic Wrap filter (which I ran using Irfanview; kept my PS 7 filters; CS/2 filters don't work with Irfanview) and copied the result back into GIMP for additional blending.

Just having fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small%20golfball.jpg (192.3 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks all for your help, but I am still a bit confused. Attached is a mockup 4x4 picture wall, or matrix of photos. What I wish to do is distort this in a manner similar to the way the golf ball bump map in my original post is, so I can then use the image to wrap a sphere in Swift 3D.

When I apply the distorted golf ball bump map to a sphere there is no distortion around the poles. That is what I would like to achieve with my picture wall image. How can I turn the attached image into a properly distorted image that will then wrap properly?

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test photo matrix.jpg (78.6 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Patron

Is this what you wanted? Note, it is a PNG file with transparency, but you need to download the original since the preview doesn't show this.

http://cid-924d59d1561f4c34.skydrive...ic/dimples.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 07:11 AM

To use this image you would need to distort it in the same way that the golf ball texture is distorted. How it works on your 'ball' would depend on the UV Mapping of the 3D object.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Lyle, not exactly. I want to retain the rectangular shape of the images more like this spinning Christmas ornament I made several years ago.

I did this ornament in Cool3D, starting with a flat image similar to the one in my last post. If it can be done, I would like to do this without so much distortion at the poles. Your example does accomplish that so I think your approach is a definite step in the right direction.

How did you do your example?

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
Is this what you wanted? Note, it is a PNG file with transparency, but you need to download the original since the preview doesn't show this.

http://cid-924d59d1561f4c34.skydrive...ic/dimples.png
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Patron

Even easier. Thought you wanted a Bauble (too lazy to put by topper on it). I think you mean facetted not dimple. Anyway, I distorted and then multiplied the number of tiles before feeding the result into Flaming Pears Sphere Warp B filter (free by the way). I then used GIMP's map object to map the result into the shown sphere. Quality isn't that good with this result, but the tile you provided wasn't that good to start with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test%20photo%20matrix.jpg (176.7 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Exactly Christine. How to do this distortion has been my question from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaran View Post
To use this image you would need to distort it in the same way that the golf ball texture is distorted. How it works on your 'ball' would depend on the UV Mapping of the 3D object.

Christine
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images