RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

Fashion photography with CG parts

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Re: Fashion photography with CG parts

@Temujin: I know the answer is "A Lot", but, what is the learning curve for some one like me and probably others here, I spend time shooting, and a lot more time in post using photoshop, so, do you think squeezing in CG is doable or I need dedicated time. as it is, 24hrs is not enough.
I would gather that the learning curve is very steep. I don't mind doing it [using CG], it is the learning curve that I am trying to avoid. Ok, to put it differently, comparing photoshop learning curve, how would you rate CG's learning curve? not to create Toy Story but within the application of CG as an option for PS users who want to integrate some sort of CG into their photography, just as an element.
I don't even think I have the talent to create "people" using CG but looking at creating backgrounds, some futuristic looking airport lounge and such but no persons/animals.
Also, is there any thing cheap, Oops, I mean affordable to get into.

Thank you so much, sorry for too many questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 06:53 AM

jfrancis: nice ones, but it still obvious what is cg and what real life if you want to focus strictly on imitating real life...especially in visual with knifes...CG skin looks weird...i can see clearly what is CG and usual spectator will think that something is wrong there (not knowing what exactly)...my opinion is that you need to pay more attention to details and final joining of parts together in final postproduction phase.

Aladdin: hard to say for me, because i started to learn CG in time when internet was slow and there was lack of good tutorials. Situation is completely different now.
First thing...creativity is fundamental...if you are creative, you probably going to have no problem to learn 3d software if you are already skilled in photoshop. But there s differences..one main thing is that CG and 3d is constantly growing giant never ending spider web of sw, functions, plugins etc... first you need to find sw and tools which suits your needs and style of work...if you find right choices whole learning phase will be a lot faster...there is lot of possible choices out there. Even if you need to lower the costs you can choose open source software like Blender... Its really difficult to compare learning of photoshop with learning of 3d...you just must try it and you will se for your self what you are capable of. And if you need to stay in "affordable" costs try Cinema 4D, XSI, modo or blender...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM

Temujin, Thank you so much for taken the time to respond. I think I will give the open source one a try, just to get a feel of how steep the learning curve is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Aladdin, you seemed to have the same impression with regards to learning curves like me. I also have that same interest in wanting to combine CG with the photography.

With regards to learning curves. I've recently read in the 3D Artist Magazines that indicate that alot of photographers seemed to include 3D CG into their works as well. The software of choice was CINEMA 4D where learning curve is not too complicate. At the moment, I'm learning to use of it as well. You might want to give it a try
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Thanks ShogunSho, will try this one also. I was browsing general CG, oh my, there are a lot more stuff (SW/Plugins/Books/Dvds) out there than there is to photoshop and I just don't want to get "sucked" into it, I really don't have time. As you might know, between photography and retouch, the 48 hrs/day is already not enough. But, I will take your advice and that of Temujin and see if it is not that deep. My target is squarely background/atmosphere. no way I am going to venture into actual "CG model", heck, I have hard time as it is controlling my "live" model/client, let alone CG one
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Temujin
Really inspiring work. Thanks for sharing all your examples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

After viewing your work, it's difficult not to be impressed. Your work is really "top shelf". I know little about CG, but I can appreciate end results. You obviously have a natural ability other than just knowing programs. It all starts in the mind, then you use the necessary tools. Great stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Great work here! Super prace kamarade!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
jfrancis: nice ones, but it still obvious what is cg and what real life if you want to focus strictly on imitating real life...especially in visual with knifes...CG skin looks weird...i can see clearly what is CG and usual spectator will think that something is wrong there (not knowing what exactly)...my opinion is that you need to pay more attention to details and final joining of parts together in final postproduction phase.
Thanks.

There's no CG on the figure at all, btw, except for the pasties. The skin is 100% real. If it looks weird it's probably because I blew focus and decided to use the shot anyway. That shot was from 2006.

[ http://www.digitalartform.com/archiv.../06/apnea.html NSFW] Back then I used a D200. One of the problems of shooting handheld in low-ish light with a D200 is to avoid grain my shutter speeds were a bit on the low side. I have a nice new Nikon D3s now

The wireframe figure is for shadow casting and knife blade diffuse reflection purposes only.

Last edited by jfrancis; 06-20-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 AM

jfrancis: sorry, my bad, skin looks little weird on these parts so i thought it is because of CG parts usage.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images