RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Computer Generated Images Combining 3D models with photos, or crafting fully synthetic images using CGI or fractals

3D layers: copy attributes or replace from file

Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 AM

3D layers: copy attributes or replace from file

Sorry I can't figure this out, but it happens to me often:

I create a 3D model in Cheetah 3D, bring it into Photoshop CS5 Extended using "3D/New Layer From 3D File..."
I size, orient it, get the lights just right, get the camera perfect, then realize I need to make a change to the model.
I make the change externally, and then I can not find a way to replace the model, and keep all the attributes I worked so hard to tweak.
Is there a way to replace a model? or, alternatively, is there a way to copy all attributes from one 3D layer to another?

Thanks,
--Shift Studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Re: 3D layers: copy attributes or replace from fil

I haven't played with 3D effects or 3D software, but it seems logical to me that the answer would be to insert the 3D model as a smart object. Have you tried that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks TEastman. Yah, you would think. A 3D layer is a really special layer - its kind of is a smart layer already - you can alter it a million times for example without degrading it. All of it's materials are smart objects.... anyways, there doesn't seem to be a way to replace the contents of the layer from another file. Turning the 3D layer itself into a smart object doesn't solve the problem.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Made sense to me. Too bad it can't be that simple. When you make your changes in Photoshop, I'm sure you are using layers. Can't layer styles be copied or duplicated?

Todd
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEastman View Post
Made sense to me. Too bad it can't be that simple. When you make your changes in Photoshop, I'm sure you are using layers. Can't layer styles be copied or duplicated?

Todd
Yes, its frustrating, I would like to just copy the style to a new layer (or replace the contents with a new file), but I just can't figure out how. This is what I need someone to tell me.
Or, it would be helpful (albeit disappointing) if someone in-the-know could confirm its not possible.

any more ideas out there?
--Shift Studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM

I've got it figured out finally... I think.
I'll report back when I have the workflow fully understood.
--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM

I think I've got it figured out:

- Basically you can save camera's position/orientation, object's position/orientation and lights' position/orientation - but those saved properties are only usable within the 3D layer from which they were created. I wanted to be able to used them in other 3D layers but couldn't.

What I failed to notice is that the orientation/position information of any 3D is available in any other 3D layer in the drop down list and is titled with the other 3D layer's name. This was lost on me for months because every time I experimented with this, the original 3D layer and the new 3D layer always had the same name, and I didn't make the connection one was referring to the other (same name)!

This may read like gobbledy-goop but if anyone ever has the same problem as me, the answer is in there.

--Shift Studio.

Last edited by shift studio; 10-21-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 PM

Part of the problem is that when PS reads the 3D object in, it creates its own unique type of object. You can solve this in a number of ways, one of which you already discovered. Another option is to use an application with round-trip capabilities like StrataCX. However, this restricts your options when choosing a modeling environment.

Another option is to save a scene preset in the 3D panel. Rather than relying solely on the dropdown from the menu bar, open up the 3D panel. Now, PS doesn't support a scene per se, but it does save presets for things like lighting configurations and I think it might save camera positions, too (I need to check on this). However, it doesn't seem to support saving out generic model position and scale.

For that matter, PS doesn't support resetting world/object orientation so you can line them up. If your model comes in upside down, you just always have to deal with the 3D position being 'wrong'.

Finally, you can use a format that supports scene info like lighting, scale, world orientation, etc. This can be buggy, and sometimes causes serious problems with PS, so I don't recommend it for CS5. Still, there's hope for this in CS6.

Anyway, you have a good work-around, so if you are comfortable, stick with it! In the mean time, it sounds like a fantastic and very possible feature request.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Computer Generated Images