RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-30-2005, 12:36 PM

I got a lot out of this contest, particularly the voting portion (what the heck is wrong with my pic? ...then, there must be something wrong with my pic...and finally, how did I not see that?!). Competition can be invaluable as far as forcing you to re-evaluate what you thought was O.K. It still amazes me how staring at a pic for hours can result in my not really seeing it - maybe it's image dyslexia? Anyway I went back to the drawing board (again) to (hopefully) fix some of my 'over-sights' and to address the nagging problem of subtly integrating that stained glass window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridegroom&jesus.jpg (98.1 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 01:06 PM

lol doug,

yeah, that was subtle

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 01:14 PM

Unhappy

Spending all the money in the world on calibration software and doing all the work by the numbers is not going to change people's tastes regardless of what a person does for a living. If I tell a client they are wrong because I use a highly calibrated moinitor on a Mac and I am a professional, I will have one less customer.

I also think that if one is going to dish out criticism about anothers work, one should be willing to accept the same without lashing out and blaming others equipment (it is what it is). RHD's reaction is exactly why I only placed my votes and did not elaborate as to why or how I came to my conclusion.

If we were to place more strigent standards on (entering) or voting we would have fewer members participating.

Last of all I invite the Bride and Groom to come place their vote.....just as soon as they place their entry.

AP
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 PM

Doug's second attempt..

Ha ha - Doug. Must be a marriage made in heaven.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Smile Contest

Yikes! There seems to be some hard feelings brewing. Well, I will enter my two cents. I have really enjoyed the contests and I always learn something by doing them. I work on a Mac and a PC and have a little (not much) knowledge on the calibration issues and how they effect how an image is seen. It seems to me that since so many people are participating in the contest with so many different calibrations, that there will always be a slight problem with how the image is finally seen. Maybe in future contests a monitor color profile can be suggested so that the entries might be viewed better.

I think that this is a great learning site, and I really enjoy the challenges that we have a chance to work on and also get feedback from. I am an artist and use the computer for most of my designs on canvas. I have really learned more about Photoshop by taking on the challenges that this site provides, and by reading how other people approach photo restoration.

I think having a contest offers us an opportunity to put our skills to the test and see how we do with a challenge on a more competitive level. I feel that a contest is a competition and that we enter knowing that we may or may not win or place. I think that once we enter we should have limited revisions (it is a contest) and then let the cards fall where they will. The judging guidelines were clear and made the choices a little easier, but personal taste also is part of the final decision that we each make.

I like the idea of the bride and groom voting; after all they are the ones that would hang the photo on their wall. Maybe in a future contests we could have a guest judge that is a professional? It would be interesting to hear yeas and nays from a pro.

I hope that we will have more contests and continue to put what we have learned to the challenge.

Doug, your revision would have had my vote!

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 03:32 PM

[QUOTE=Kraellin]
...also, maybe i'm missing something here, but what's wrong with the tie? his collar looks closed to me, or is this an angle thing, perspective?...QUOTE]

Kraellin
His tie isn't tight...doesn't look neat and tidy. Shot on left is our groom...shot on the right how it should look in my opinion for a photograph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New-2.jpg (21.2 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 03:56 PM

Doug
You didn't include a smile...I didn't want your entry 2 to be disqualified so I added one for you ...I know one shouldn't manipulate another's image without permission but the deadline is here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bridegroom&jesus.jpg (88.0 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 PM

Basically, people don't want to be criticize. But some are ok with it after the initial reaction.

I'd rather reserve my comments/critique until asked, because I'm not sure everybody here welcomes it. I don't want to sound too nice but what's the point if one is not receptive of it.

Righthanddesign,
If I'm not mistaken you've got the most votes. Congratulations!
If people voted for your entry, that means you must have done something right, despite the comments. Take heart.

Doug
Love your entry. Why didn't I think of that?

Last edited by soleah; 05-29-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 04:23 PM

ogee,

ok, i see what you're saying now.

i think part of that might be a perspective thing, though. in the original, you're looking almost straight down the vertical of that collar, but yes, yours is tighter.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogee
His tie isn't tight...doesn't look neat and tidy. Shot on left is our groom...shot on the right how it should look in my opinion for a photograph.
Hmm.... See I don't know that I agree on this one. Here I think taste comes in. I personally think it looks ok as it is, and if I was to do this modification at the very least I would ask the client if they wanted me too. It might be part of the grooms' personality never to tightened his collar, and this could look out of character!

Doug - you're a genius! (That arm around the waist is a bit creepy though! *lol* Jesus with Ronald McDonald hands....)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests