RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 PM

ogee, much happier (and just a little bit more disturbing).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 08:10 PM

Kraellin, re your last image post,

Try flipping the brides smile horizontally and then take out a bit of the yellow. After flipping it, push the dark corners on the left side inward just a little bit.
Dont forget to add subtle shadows in between the chin and lower lip to emphasize the ridges as she is now smiling diffrently. It would be better if you keep her laugh lines. Study how she smiled in the other source image.
I think it would also be better if you leave just a little bit of the shadows/highlights on her face to make it more natural.
Sorry, I couldn't show an image of what I'm saying because I'm a slow retoucher. It could take a while.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 PM

Kraellin, there you go! If you overlayed it on the original, then that's it. I guess her chin is a little long. But I do like your second rendention better. As everyone is finding out, and mostly not from a professional point of view, it's all in the eye of the beholder. You did a good job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Colwell
ogee, much happier (and just a little bit more disturbing).
Disturbing is a good word...and I think we will not go any further down that road...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2005, 11:38 PM

I have learnt awful lot just by participating and follow the thread. Thanks everyone.
Thomas Foo
Hey Doug, your re-work would have won hands down
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 AM

Well a big congratulations to everyone in the competition (All participants - not just top 5!). Though it does make me feel like some kind of 'Everyman' as I voted for all the winners! (Well, the 4 I could!) I think I should take up betting on the horses or something....

It was a fascinating process, and great to see the variety of interpretation. It really brought home (particularly that last 'groom' vote) how much these things really are in the eye of the beholder.

Attached is a newly 'straightened' rendition of my entry - I got the hint on that one very early on! *lol* Though no-one mentioned it in voting, a friend did point out my groom seemed to have a rather liberal application of eyeliner and I sheepishly had to admit that I agreed - but it's not something I've taken the time to fix.

ps. I really appreciate the encouragement and votes - very flattered to be amongst such talent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caitlin-straightened.jpg (100.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-01-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 02:00 AM

Congratulations RHD! And thank you all at RP for having these contests. I really enjoy these little incentives to try. Congrats to all!

Dawn
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Congratulations to the winner, RightHandDesign, the top five and to all the participants. Thanks to the participants who vote for my entry and for your comments. Thank you TPaul for letting us know the groom opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 AM

soleah,

thanks for the tips. i took a look at your work on this pic (hoping it would be terrible so i could dismiss your comments ), and found it VERY professional looking! so, i guess i have to take your comments to heart on a straight retouch i do pretty good, but when it comes to a chop (altering an image with another image's parts) i always tend to lose a bit. yours is quite good! there was one thing i was a bit concerned with in the chop process; the mouth from the other image isnt quite skewed the same and i was able to correct for that a bit, but i also noticed that the vertical alignment forced the chopped smile to be moved over a bit. i tried to correct for this with a few things, like horizontal skew and rotate of the selection and it almost worked. i also noticed that in your image her teeth seem to be not quite vertically aligned with the rest of her face. her two front teeth seem a bit to the left to me. i'm not trying to be critical of your work here; it's more of a question. how would you line up the chopped piece to the face, vertically, and still get the whole thing looking right?

as for the smile lines, i didnt use the smile from the larger smile pic, i used the other one where the smile lines werent so pronounced. i did try to shadow some in, but i guess i didnt get enough. like i say, chops are something i still need a lot of work with.

so, thank you i copied your image over to my drive to study it a bit. it really is quite good!

ms bay,

thank you i'm learning and i couldnt agree more about 'eye of the beholder'.

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
soleah,
there was one thing i was a bit concerned with in the chop process; the mouth from the other image isnt quite skewed the same and i was able to correct for that a bit, but i also noticed that the vertical alignment forced the chopped smile to be moved over a bit. i tried to correct for this with a few things, like horizontal skew and rotate of the selection and it almost worked. i also noticed that in your image her teeth seem to be not quite vertically aligned with the rest of her face. her two front teeth seem a bit to the left to me. i'm not trying to be critical of your work here; it's more of a question. how would you line up the chopped piece to the face, vertically, and still get the whole thing looking right?
K.
Thanks, Kraellin. My work still needs work. I'm not a professional "anything" to give you advise. But sometimes, you miss out on things for staring at it too long. For instance, the one that you noticed on mine.

As for your concern on vertical alignment, have you tried the liquify tool?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests