RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 05-01-2005, 04:01 PM

Caitlin: re latest post

Much better!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
there was one thing i was a bit concerned with in the chop process; the mouth from the other image isnt quite skewed the same and i was able to correct for that a bit, but i also noticed that the vertical alignment forced the chopped smile to be moved over a bit. i tried to correct for this with a few things, like horizontal skew and rotate of the selection and it almost worked.
Well, we were asked to give some feedback on what we did on our entries, so maybe now's a good time to give mine!

I have never done this kind of thing before, but as I said in another thread, even back as a child I loved to cut up images and text from books, photocopy in various sizes, and 'photoshop' with uhu-glue and paper :-), so maybe I have a bit of a natural affinity for it!

Just to describe what I did in a rudimentary sense:-

THE LIPS: I cut from the 'party' picture of our bride. Pasted to a new layer, and it looked wrong straight away. After resizing to fit her face, I flipped it horizontally - better (The bride has her face at a different angle in the other pic so this matched the view better). I thought it looked a bit too 'wide' for the situation so I also resized it to be narrower, while maintaining the height. To make it blend I fiddled with colour balance and brightness, then used the eraser to gently erase (with a soft edge) around the mouth. Some tweaking was still needed of the shape which I did with transform skew.

THE EYES: Same process, also 'widened' the eyes a little. To make sure I placed them accurately (did this with mouth as well) I moved the opacity of the layer from 0% to 100% until I was happy they were aligned and matching in size.

THE FACE: I did some other minor work on the faces - primarily removing the dark shadows under the couples eyes with clone and heal. I also wasn't happy the chin on the bride matched her new smile, and took some chin, and laugh line from one of the other images (don't remember which!) and merged it in with the eraser. Slight gausian blur masking key features on brides skin, to create a smoother appearance.

THE STUBBLE: Used a combination of techniques - Blur, clone stamp, and finally a light paintbrush with a sampled pink from elsewhere on his face.

OTHER: Fixed her discoloured left shoulder, and his hand. Took a fold out of her bodice. Gausian blur of the b/g - removed shadows and some of the marble patterning from the floor. Neat Image to remove noise overall.

Nb. Not in that particular order though!

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-01-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:10 PM

Hey everyone thanks for voting for mine. This was very exciting I have never won anything like this before.

I also want to apologize to the people who read my comments and were offended. I am just very used to people critiquing my work honestly. I have been through art school and there they always say 5 things that are bad about it before they ever say anything good. That way it teaches you to seperate yourself from your work and not take it so personal. As far as monitor calibration I was just stating why people see things differently. I am not bragging about how much I have spent on calibration I am just stating for me and my line of work I have to have mine calibrated to a printing press.
I just thought it was so funny how some people voted for some people and not others then the very next person put someone as #1 and the other person didnt even include them in their votes. It just seemed like a crap shoot. I just thought you would see consistant voting across the board...guess not.

Well again thanks everyone... see ya next contest

Last edited by righthanddesign; 05-01-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthanddesign
I just thought you would see consistant voting across the board...guess not.
I also react the same way sometimes but I have to remind myself that people's taste vary. That's the reason why we're tallying votes. Majority wins. Congratulations, again!

Thanks for the tip about the eyebrows. Never thought about that one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 09:28 PM

Hi all, I was one of the unruly contestants that didn't vote, so should I beg for forgiveness now or is it too much to ask for mercy. I know no excuse is good but I got a little busy with work and a few side projects and then my windows pc would freeze up whenever I'd right click or drag an object to another folder, so it's not really my fault, it's mr. gates fault I tells ya. After a system restore though that problem was fixed. Also the lousy calendar I received for Christmas had April with 31 days, d'oh (what??? it could happen). Now had I voted my top 5 were 1)1stlite, 2)jaime, 3)grafx, 4)TPaul and 5)righthanddesign. Congrats to RHD for winning and also congrats to the groom for his excellent taste ;-). Just my luck the only vote I get doesn't even count, aw shucks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I just thought you would see consistant voting across the board...guess not.
I am a bit surprised also. Some of the things I saw in many of the entries other people missed completely or didn't view them as important. I didn't put your entry in my top five, even though your skin tones and smile were excellent- maybe the best, because I notice that when you manipulated the bride you removed the veil on her left side by the groom and also removed some of it on the right side above her shoulder...to me it looked as if her veil was flying out of one side of her head. Once I noticed this I couldn't get the genie back in the bottle.
Congratulations though righthanddesign...as someone who is merely trying to learn how to do this for my own enjoyment I admire your ability and knowledge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Good job ogee I completely forgot to uncover that part of her veile by the groom. I had it under a layer mask and just missed it. You stare at these things so long you start to go crazy. You are so right once you see it you can't miss it. See just like I said everyone sees different things. i will be more careful next time. ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 03:33 AM

Smile

Congratulations, Wooden Bender!

I like your entry, too. I just wish it's colored. But that's me.

I wonder though, if the bride agrees with the groom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 05:19 AM

Hi Wooden Bender,

Thanks for your vote which I appreciate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Good job ogee I completely forgot to uncover that part of her veile by the groom. I had it under a layer mask and just missed it. You stare at these things so long you start to go crazy. You are so right once you see it you can't miss it. See just like I said everyone sees different things. i will be more careful next time. ;-)
That is why I like the idea of restricting judging to entrants...because we have done the work we know where the bodies are buried...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests