Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I had asked during the first contest if a link could be made to view a larger version of the image.
T-Paul wrote back yes IF you uploaded your image to RTP in the format provided in the rules.
So those of you who want to keep a full protrait, and have access to a hosting site this could be a good work around --- just remember you must UPLOAD your image to Retouch also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Editing Posted Photos

Just one point. I posted my retouch and noted that its appearance was different from what I saw when I used the save for web command in photoshop. So I edited it and increased the contrast. I guess the point is that the poster should be able to edit his or her photos within a short time period of posting it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Personally, I'll upload my entry at the last minute because I can't stop tweaking. It's a curse.
Kudos to all who have posted early for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 07:19 AM

You are right about that. It seems that these projects can always use improvement and the initial post leaves a lot to be desired. You have a good idea. My method is to avoid looking at the picture as much as possible. ha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Well, I feel dumb. I did not know that I could go back and fix a few things on my image in the March contest. I had so many things that I wanted to go back and repair. I don't mind that it it's okay to go back and do a little editing. Sometimes the picture looks different when you post it and it needs some fixing.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Cathy i wouldnt worry about last months, i really like your april contest picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Hello All,

First, Congratulation Vicki on your March win: Well done!

I do have a few questions about this area of "retouching". As I indicated in March, I am new to all of this and so am having a little difficulty trying to determine the "parameters" of "photo retouching.

My efforts had me moving quickly into what i would define as photo-art. or if I reworked it that little too much, strokes and plasticity or colorization versus photographic WOW - Hue and sat.

What distinguishes photo-art / colorization and hue-sat tweaks from photohgraphic enhancement. Looking at the outstanding work in the gallery I see those traditionally viewed as photo enhancement: black and white / sepia tones/ sharpening, blurred backgrounds; "artistic improvements", cropping, etc..... At the same time there are also colorizations and photo-art or perhaps improvements that seem to cross the photo-enhancement boundary - with my limited understanding.

While I like /admire the variety and interpretations, how do the judges define what is within the realms of the guidelines ??

Confused and struggling,

I tried many renditions of this photo and found that my efforts kept moving into colorizations and brush strokes - (photo-art?) when utilizing the liquify tool or other source material - also wasn't sure about rules of background replacement or substitution.

Great work by everyone so far!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 AM

Hi all.. I am surprised reading about editing already entered pics. I never thought about it, and I do think it opens a can of worms. However, changes within a short time frame, like 24 hours would be okay, since uploads don't always look like they should.
Also as to the question on what is restoration and what is Photo Art, I would have to say the resulting image for me is the deciding factor. A good photographic result means restoration/retouching by whatever means, while a painted portrait outcome for me means photo art.
I'm going to upload mine now and follow the sage advice of not looking at it again!
Good luck to all - Margaret M

Last edited by mlgates99; 04-06-2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 12:47 PM
I want to thank Doug and T Paul for starting these contests.

People have brought up good points concerning early submissions, editing entries, etc. But, since the contests are new, I think it might be better to wait a while before changing anything.

I'm just happy that I don't have to write a detailed description

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Just a thought.

As this is a competition whose intention is also to promote exchange of ideas and technique, perhaps it could be a condition that the winner of the competition gives a breakdown of what they did to create their image.

I appreciate that an exact breakdown is not always possible as many members (myself included) adjust things on the fly and can't always remember every single adjustment they may of made.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests