RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contests Retouching contests to challenge your skills and learn from others. Prizes for the winners!

April 05 Contest Discussion

Old 04-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Could be...

the 'Breakdown' could be a rule of the Contest... [for some reason I want to know how the winner Retouched the pic...]
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 06:38 PM

Well, let people re-edit if they want, if you have a problem with it don't vote for them.
The only thing that bugs me is the 100k limit, it really can degrade the quality of the finished item. Please make it at least 200k next time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 09:13 PM

I just uploaded my entry and am fairly happy with it. Yes it looks a bit different than on my machine but that was expected and I may or may not tweak it.

My point being I do not think there needs to be any rules forbidding an entry from being edited at any time before voting begins. The idea of this forum is to share and learn and have fun. If someone can learn something from my work or If I can learn something from your work (after all, that's what we are here for)...then it's all good!!!

As for the photo vs. photoart question: If it looks like a photo...then it must be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 11:23 PM

Washed Out

Hi Folks!

I entered my photo in the contest and I don't think I did it correctly. As gorgeous as it was when I finished it in PS, it looks a little "washed out" when I uploaded for the contest. This is what I did. I saved it for the web, then sized it to 800x600 and played with the quality so it was just below the 100kb size allowed.

Can I delete this photo and enter it again? I don't want to change anything I did, I just want to see if someone can give me some suggestions as to how I can keep the same crisp rich colors and smoothness that I have in PS.

Everyone is doing a great job so far, good luck!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 01:39 AM

Hi Ms Bay, its quite easy to replace a photo. Just go back to your post and click on the edit button. This will bring up the edit page, scan down to manage attachments and click on it. Click on remove picture to remove your existing image, then browse and enter your new picture as usual, now click to confirm changes aand you're done.

As for trying a different resizing. I've found if you save for web, it changes your colour space to sRGB, if you were working in AdobeRGB or some other space, there will be a colour shift on resizing. I usually just resize my image, then save as jpeg, adjusting compression slider to get below 100K, I don't use the Save for Web function to do this, just the normal save as.

However, I believe RP works on sRGB anyway, so there is some colour shift when you post. So the answer is work in sRGB, then there will be no colour shift on posting. I don't, but I don't expect it to post exactly as I see it on screen either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 AM

Thanks Gary, I'll try it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Photo Art or Retouching…that is the question

I see photo art as changing a photo into art…such as a painting, sketch, oil, watercolor, graphic and so on. Basically changing the image so that it no longer looks like a photo.

As for retouching, it could be as basic from removing scratches and dust to removing/adding people and body parts. Common retouching techniques include color correction, cropping/rotating an image, brightening and enhancing eyes, whitening teeth, removing glare, removing fly away hair and maybe even reshaping a nose or mouth or more. On the arty side of retouching you can still add arty effects such as a vignette, tint the image, change to B&W or sepia, add sparkles and so on and still be considered retouching because all those things can be done by a photographer with filters, dark room techniques and so on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Bay
Hi Folks!

I entered my photo in the contest and I don't think I did it correctly. As gorgeous as it was when I finished it in PS, it looks a little "washed out" when I uploaded for the contest. This is what I did. I saved it for the web, then sized it to 800x600 and played with the quality so it was just below the 100kb size allowed.
I don’t know if it will make a difference or not, but when I am working on an image for the web I set my color settings to a web profile for better color management.

Edit>Color Settings
I change my setting to Web Graphic Defaults. This changes your working space to sRGB

Then I open my file to start working on it.

When I am done, I do use the Save for Web option.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 01:37 PM

That is the question

Thanks T,

That helps me understand the divide a little better.

Sean
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 09:15 PM

Guidelines for judging
I'm downloading the entries as they come, bacause I think there will be more entries in this months contest than the last. I'll check for the edited entries at some point.
The variations in the entries are hard to ignore. How do we judge this months contest? I'm not a professional photographer, so I don't really know what to look for in a photo, a retouched photo at that.
I know, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", I just want to consider a professional's point of view.
...soleah
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Studio > Contests